Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually this fly is not classic in the sense that it is not a spey fly of the old days. Rather it is tied in the classic way, and is my own adaptation of fly tier Dareld Thompsons Dark Prince. I have replaced the teal throat with guinea. In retrospect I think I would omit the throat of guinea entirely and let the body hackle reach the head instead. The original mallard wing has been replaced by wood pidgeon feather tips. Not the easiest to work with as they have a tendency to split easily, but I am satisfied with how they ended ;-)

Black Prince
Hook: AJ spey fly #1,5 black
Body: Black wool wound sparsely
Rib: Medium oval silver tinsel, followed by crimson red silk floss, followed by medium oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Black schlappen tied in spey wise, root end first
Throat: Natural guinea, two turns
Wing: Strips of black tips from wood pidgeon
Head: Lacquered black thread

Knæk og bræk ;-)
Søren

·
Registered
895 Posts
Another nicely tied Spey, Soren.

I agree about omitting the guinea collar, but instead, I think I would replace it with a dyed red teal, tied quite sparse, to bring out that crimson floss.

I hope you don't mind the suggestion.

-Bill

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that guinea doesn't fit with the rest of the impression. Yes, some dyed teal or dyed furnace saddle hackle would fit the bill. Or maybe just let it be all black hackle and some orange or sulphur yellow silk floss alone to make the contrast. And I really like the tinsel/floss combo and think I will play along those lines with a few future flies ;-)

Søren

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Another sleek shrimpy fly , very nice !!
I like the guinea collar , contrast is key . Too much blending has no flare , black and white barred hackle depicts movement ... something to think about my friend ;)

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts