Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing with dee flies and today I wanted to give the Moonshine a go on the vise. I have tried to be as loyal as possible to the original pattern, though some substitues had to be made. So the blue chatterer veilings have been replaced with kingfisher, though I was tempted to use eurasian jay instead. The black hackle which presumably is black cock in the original recipe I have replaced with black heron. And lastly the pattern calls for white turkey, which I have replaced with swan. I managed to set the wings even lower this time which is good, though my wing target is to be able to set them horisontal. I have included top and side profile pictures to be able to show the wings proberly. The head is still not as small as I would like it to be, but it's going in the right direction. Tried a streamer hook instead of a spey hook and it seems to work to get that long and lanky dee look ;-)

Top view:

Moonshine
Hook: Mike Martinek Rangely Streamer 1/0 6x long
Tag: Oval silver tinsel and yellow floss
Tail: GP crest veiled with kingfisher
Butt: Black ostrich
Rear body: Flat silver tinsel w/ oval silver rib, veiled with kingfisher above and below
Midbody butt: Black ostrich
Front body: Black wool yearn w/ flat silver rib followed by oval silver
Front body hackle: Palmered black heron
Throat: Natural guinea
Wings: Strips of swan
Head: Laquered black thread

Knæ og bræk
Søren

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
forget the gorgeous dee...

dude,
do you have a slab of stone holding your vice to the table?

you may need to pull your punches.

cheers mate,
your tying is becoming faultless,

shawn

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nice dee, I like it a lot. I think a more elegant hook would put this over the top, but that's just a personal preference. Nice tying !

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shale slab is just a neutral background for the photos. The vise has its own foot, but is in my opinion not heavy enough, and I don't like the table mounted ones. So maybe time to look out for some new and more stable vise ;-)

The hook was the nicest long straight shank I had in my box, and I agree it's not particularly elegant ;-)

Søren

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very nice, indeed!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Nice dee! And I see you have found out exactly what I've been telling folks for many years about 6xl-8xl streamer hooks in the larger #1, 2, and 4 sizes making a very nice dee hook.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts