Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming you are fishing a floating line with a small fly, that weighs almost nothing and you can not get in the water or make a back cast and you want to cast directly across the river, other than a roll cast, is there a spey cast which keeps the D in front of you that will out perform a roll cast? Thanks in advance
slack

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,803 Posts
It's called a square cut and demonstrated very well by Derek Brown in his most excellent casting video spey masterclass

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
as Bruce says, the square cut is a good cast for this - you can also do a poke after your initial set which puts the line out away from you, allowing for a much shallower D loop behind you

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
A couple years ago I had the great luck to get to fish with Wally Faetz of Spey Lodge, one of the most graceful and effortless casters I've ever seen. I was fishing a scandi head on run deep within a couple feet of the shoreline, tall, heavy brush pushing at my back, poking as best I could. Wally came down to check on me, and gave me a funny smile. I said, What? and was smart enough to hand him my rod.

He did a circle cast that set the anchor well out in front, then sent a sweet little cast out far enough to fish. He said something along the lines of, You're not trying to set a distance record, just fish the run.

Where a circle cast generally is in a plane perpendicular to the direction of the cast, Wally initiated the lift back towards the bank, then arcing out towards the river, setting the anchor well in front of his position. The anchor placement can easily be adjusted to conditions by the degree of the inward and then outward arc of the circle. It can be down with a scandi, skagit, or a mid belly.

I think it's similar (same?) as what fishm described.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts