Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working to get the dee fly pattern right. This time with a Glentanar fly. I decided to replace the traditional turkey strip wing with a strip of buzzard tail. Hope it fits the pattern?

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Looks yummy, maybe a few less ribs to let some color show, but i like its look ribbed heavy too. wingset looks better

thanks for sharing

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Other than the slight crowding of the hook eye by the head, it looks good to me (I'd prefer to see it with 2 fewer turns of ribbing though it looks fine as is). Try to leave about 1/8th of an inch at the end of the body to accommodate the throat and wing tie-in and it will be about perfect.

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
If you want it to look right tie on a straight shank hook.
Some good advice given , however Andrew nailed it , straight shank is best for this style of fly .
I do prefer the body hackle to follow the traditional recipe call out of black heron , it gives more contrast . The light heron you used gets lost in the body colours .
The wing slips give good contrast with the barring , again I do prefer the "red" appearance of the original recipe . If you can find "Del Sol" turkey tail , it is a suitable substitute for Gled or Red Kite Swallow .

Your overall density in hackling is very good along with the thin body taper and proportions of the fly :)

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts