Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
InAll of these rods are turned by me using OEM Burkheimer supplied materials to OEM specs. All jet black and spined and ready to have guides put on. No, I dont do any wrapping work anymore. Not selling these to make a buck, just a slight change of plans and priorities.

First of is 10153-4. $600 shipped.

9/10/11
15' 3"
4 piece
Maple burl reel seat spacer

Next up are:

8128-4 ***sold***
8134-4 with koa reel seat ($575 shipped)
8152-4 ***sold***

Same goes, all spined and ready for guides.

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First "I'll take it" gets it.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Really nice

·
Registered
790 Posts
Beautiful work on those handles. I would love to see some detailed pictures of how you turned those reel seats. I have turned a few myself and would love to learn from your techniques.

Regards
Brayden

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful work on those handles. I would love to see some detailed pictures of how you turned those reel seats. I have turned a few myself and would love to learn from your techniques.

Regards
Brayden
I use stabilized woods to begin with. In that case I can be assured it lasts. I then use 3/8" very slightly tapered mandrel to turn them on. Then its just you and the cutting tool finished to 600 grit. CA finished, wet micro pad, and polished. 3/8" bore is then painstakingly reamed out to fit the blank. No tape bushings here.

Turning such long grips was very challenging in the beginning and I come to realize thar it requires a good solid, stablle lathe to minimaze ovaling of the grip. Those of you interested, I am offering my turning setup for sale.

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8128-4, 8134-4, and 10153-4 are still available.

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump for the 3 rods I still have

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take additional $25 off. Need to move these fast!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Weird these are still here. It wouldn't cost that much to have someone to wrap some guides on the rods, certainly a lot less than to get the same rod build directly from Burkheimer.

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8134 and 10153 are still up for grabs. $525 to your door!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the 8152-4 that's listed here and it arrived today. It's just as pretty as it looks in the pics and I can't wait to get wrapping; thanks again Dom. I got the guide sizes and spacings from Burkheimer and bought a tube and sack from them; they were very helpful. I got the guides and tip from another source and am using the thread, glue and epoxy left over from another rod building project.

I've assembled several (10+) rods and while they may not be top shelf in artistry, they are very functional and it's fun to have a rod with your own touch. Anyone who can tie a fly can install guides and you can always practice before you epoxy. You don't need to buy specialized equipment, you can run the thread through a heavy book for tension and put the spool in a cup and you can cut v notches in a cardboard box to hold the blank while drying; although I must admit that a less basic setup is nicer.

·
Dom
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
8134 and 10153 are still with me. $525 shipped each. $1000 for both. Might be interested in some trades. Anything goes really.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts