Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is on the way

Now for the reel and line

Is there an fly line equivalent for this spey, are spey lines in this weight class up to the task?

And a reel size/arbour suggestion (rather than a specific manufacturer)

Thanks in advance
rb

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What rod and line

do you anticipate using. There is a big difference in the requirements for a long belly like the XLT and a Skagit, or Scando system. I have a Meiser 13678 MKS that I am using an AirFlo Skagit for 7/8 and a WC 9/10/11 with tip two removed. Both of those fit into an Able #3 (WF10 and 250 yd of 30#). You might have to go to spectra backing for a midspey and a long belly would be out of the question.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Yes,

There are spey lines of all belly lengths available in 7/8. You should have no trouble getting one of the belly length you desire from one of the site sponsors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a redfly (i am told it is a 12'6" but i can find no model so it might be a 12' or a 11'6'')

I got it for Small Mouth Bass and walleye with the oddd mid sized pike thrown in. I think it would be a good big trout rod but we don't have river like that here lakes yes but not rivers

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
A reel that holds a 12 wt standard line and about 250yds of 30 lb backing would be a nice choice for you for all but longbelly lines. my favorite reel for an 8wt. that I own is an old Lamson LP5. I think it holds a 12 and 325yds and is very versatile for 7, 8 and short 9 wt lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts