Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to compare and contrast? I found the 9140 One pretty fast and the 9143 Z Axis more forgiving, but I haven't cast them with comparable lines (one with skagits, the other with long belly lines).

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, if you want a rather short description of the difference, what you say is quite fitting.

I loved the 9143 when it came despite it was way softer than what I (and other Scandinavians) mostly used at that time. The action is deep down, 3/4 - full action. In short it was a cool rod, with a couple different "gears" so it handled quite light floating or sink tip line work casting with short strokes and off the tip, as well as heavier sinking lines using more of the rod force - am talking Scandi now. Actually this is probably the rod I have used the most over the regular 15' rod common for early season sinking line work here. I pensioned my 9143 when the cork was worn down in 2012 having used it tremenduosly much since 2007. It became a cult like rod in our circles, a love it or hate it rod, looking back I would say the tip could have been somewhat more firm... but that would have made a different rod.

I replaced it with a ONE 9140, which I would say is more a 1/2 - 3/4 action. It is a lighter, faster, more responsive rod typical for last generation graphite rods. It is not as "extreme" as the z-axis and I guess overall easier to like. While I used the z-axis mostly with Scandi heads, I use the ONE also with Skagit and hybrid lines such as Nextcast Salarfinder and it excels on all. When you line it up and cast it it will feel deeper than when you just shake it in a shop... Both are great rods yes but different!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have casted both rods with longer belly lines, especially Carron's (if I remember right I think I used an 8/9 on the 9143, because of the soft tip) and later I have tried long S-heads like the LTS Across with a 16 - 17 meter head, which excels on the ONE (weights around 45 grams). Overall, both works well with longer lines, the ONE probably the better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts