Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was using a delta long in 9/10 on this rod and it didnt seem to work very well. a airflo rep told me to cut 5 ft off the front of this line. does anyone think this would affect the overall performance of the line.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
loop blueline 9140

peter-s-c said:
Were you casting the entire head or only a portion of it?
i was casting the entire head which i think is 67 ft on the 9/10. i know i can cast probably 55 or 60 ft of the head. im not that good of a spey caster. but i keeping practicing as much as i can because i enjoy casting these long rods! so hopefully it will come with time. i was looking at the loop spey lines with tips for this rods.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
peter-s-c said:
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the rod and line match-up that you have, though I think you would find the standard Delta 9/10 easier to handle.
hi peter will the poly leaders work fine for getting the fly down in the summer time. i have a two in 14 ft fast sinking and extra fast and a 10 ft polyleader as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your website

thanks peter for the info. i checked out your website you have some very interesting stories about some of the places you have fished! i will give the 9/10 airflo delta a shot. ive tried the windcutter spey lines a few times i dont like the feel with this rod. thinking about trying a 9/10 sa short head as well. thanks scott

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
casting the 9/10 delta long

sean said:
What do you mean by not casting well? What symptoms were you experiencing?

-sean
hi my casting technique is not very sound but i know it will come with time as i have only been speycasting for about 6 or 7 months. so i know that had alot to do with it. probably be better off casting a shorter head line until my technique is pretty sound.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well it depends, I for one do not heed to the mantra of starting new casters with short heads. I started with long delta and am thankful I went that route. I think it is easier to go from long to short than short to long when one is progressing as a speycaster.

That being said if you do go with a shorter line take a good look at the SA Short Head line. I bet an 8/9 would load that rod perfectly and it is the best short line going nowadays IMHO.

-sean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sa short head

do you think a 9/10 would work much better. i guess its just a matter of preference. thanks sean im glad to have such a wide range of knowledgeable 2 handed casters on this website. i will keep trying the 9/10 long delta. i tried the 8/9 sa short head this weekend on that rod on the sky it casted pretty well. that sa 8/9 cast great on my lami 13 ft 6 8/9. thanks again scott.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The 8/9 is more of a gut feeling I have for your rod. The SA short lines run a little heavy for their line designations (the 8/9s are more of a straight 9). For instance it is perfect on the CND skagit rod which is a 9wt. I also like a little lighter feel for my rods so I tend to gravitate to as light of line as possible on my rods but still maintaining a good load on the rod. I know the bluelines are pretty fast so maybe a 9/10 would load it better.

Somebody must have this rod on the board and could help you match it better. Dana?

-sean

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi guys!

Yup, have this rod (used it during my Spey Test last weekend) and these lines. Have tried them all and they all work.

Scott, I'm not trying to sell you casting lessons but I think rather than buying a bunch of lines, hook up with a good instructor in your area for a few hours, and this will help things out a lot. It is common for beginning casters to search around for a line that will improve their casting (I did the same thing when I was starting out back in '94) but sharpeninig your technique will allow you to get the most out of whatever line you choose. Additionally, many instructors will have a selection of lines that you can try with your rod, and this will really help you identify one that works well for you.

The Airflo lines that I have are lighter for their length than some other lines such as RIO, although I don't have a comparison chart handy--Peter's is an excellent reference for a range of lines from different manufacturers. Generally with a newer spey caster it is a good idea to overline your rod a little so you can feel it loading, but a line rated to match your rod's rating will be fine. The Delta Long that you have works well on the Loop, but you might be finding the extra length of the line challenging, so a line with a shorter head might be the way to go right now. Later as you get comfortable with the casts you can try the Long again to see if it works better for you.

Scott, if you are interested in purchasing one of the SA Short Head lines, I would go with the 9/10 for your Loop. I cast this setup as part of my preparation for the FFF spey test and I thought it was a good combination. Al Buhr did an excellent job on the design of these lines and they complement the crisp action of the Loop blues.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I second Dana's suggestion!!!

Casting lessons will really help you shorten the learning curve. I wished I had taken the time and spent the $ to do that. It would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Starting right and having help with the little essential details will speed you on your way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts