Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything about this rod and what type of action this rod has. thanks scott

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
If you have it, don't get rid of it. If you don't and can get it cheap, grab it. It is a sweet rod. The closest Sage has to it now is the 9141 but it is not quite the same. Action is medium fast at least for a Sage rod. Wonderful winter run tips rod. Do not confuse it with the 9140-4 for they are night and day.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 9140-3 is the rod I should have bought for my first 2-hander. I talked to several good steelheaders who were using 2-handers way back in '91 before buying my first 2-hander, all but one recommended a Sage 9140 (the one who did not recommend it, recommended a T&T Guala-a rod no longer made). I failed to ask it they meant the 3-piece or the 4-piece. I made the assumption that they were speaking of the 4-piece 9140-4 because it was being marketed by Sage back then as a "spey rod" (the 9140-3 was being marketed as a "European overhead rod". I bought the 9140-4, which is a very different rod and way too slow and wimpy for my tastes, it was an expensive mistake. When those I asked for recommendations found out I bought the 9140-4, they all said I should have gotten the 9140-3.

Sinktip's advise on it is right on.

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
In addition to the info above, if you do a search under "9140/3" or "9140-3" or "9140 Euro" you'll find a lot of information in the archives about this rod. I really do like mine as a casting rod, but its a bit hefty for most of the fish that I pursue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts