Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read the thread by the sage factory rep on Green vs Brown sage rods, and on the 9140 it was a bit confusing...This will be my first spay rod,and I guss all i need to know is if this older(i think older) 9140-3 brownie will be good for me..All my 9' rods are fast..
Also one thread said that the older brown rods break easy..
There's also a 14' Redfly for sale here...I;ve never had a Spay rod,and can use any/all advise.
EDIT--(I just read 2 more that said the brownies break)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
You will find that spey rods are a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type thing. One person's gem is another's junk. Having said that there are some in every line that most would agree are jewels. The SAGE 9140-3 is one of them. I believe that this rod, along with the 8150 and the old brown 10151-4 are some of the best rods Sage has ever made. It is a faster actioned rod capable of carrying long lines and handling substantial tips.

The rod with a breakage history is the 10151-4. The old ones, while sweet casting rods were prone to blowing up.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Kim,

'Tip is right, the only Sage Rod that know with a "breakage" problem was the 10151. I have a 9140-3, and like you it was my first and while I now have over 30 rods (the fallout of being Pro Staff for a spey rod company) the 9140-3 remains one of the best all-round rods I have ever fished.

Simply put, it is sweet. I may go one better than Sinktip and say that it could be the best rod Sage ever made. If you get one you will love it - one word to the wise - while the blank says it is a #9, it will cast much better with a #10 line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sage 9140-3 Graphite III

What Kush said. My all-time favorite Sage rod; the best they ever built.

Try a WindCutter #9/10/11 or Airflo Delta Spey #9/10 if you like the feel of a full load on the rod.

If you like a lighter "Scandi" feel to the 9140-3 (the rod was designed by the Swedish rod maestro, Goran Andersson), drop down a line size for each of the above lines.

Or try a Scandinavian Shooting Head: the Airflo Scandi Head right out of the box is highly recommended as is the Guideline Power Taper #9/10 cut back to 12-12.5 meters. Although the 9140-3 will cast any line exceptionally well, it sings with a Scandi-style shooting head.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Kim,

The old brown 9140-3 is very different then the old brown 9140-4. Just so you understand...the rod that folks are raving about is the 3 pc. not the 4. The -4 is very slow.

Greg

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have had both the 9140-3 (sold it) and 9140-4. I prefer the slower action of the '4' and there is no problem with nastiest dredging tip. I have not experienced any type of breakage or blowup and typically fish for steelhead about 21 days per years. I also have an older 8150 and i think it cast similar to the 9140-4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sinktip was right on

Wheelhoss....what you wrote verifies what Sinktip said ,........

"You will find that spey rods are a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type thing...One mans trash in another mans treasure"

Thank you...all of you for the help/advise.........kim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sage Brown 9140-3

Kim -

I'll echo Kush and 'Tip. The Brown 9140-3 was my first spey rod - bought it years ago (before I'd ever tried spey casting) on the sole advice of a crazy Norwegian salmon fisherman I met abroad.

Though the rod is a little hard to "learn" to spey cast with, now that I am an experienced caster it is an absolute gem. I've heard many spey casters here in the Pac NW call this the best two-hander Sage ever made. I'm no authority on the subject, but I can say that it is the best Sage two-hander I've ever cast. More than one angler has offered to buy mine on the spot.

If you can get a hold of one, buy it. Also, no real trouble with breakage - only once in the last 8 years (while casting two weeks after a collision with a lead-wrapped 3/0 chinook fly) and I've beaten the hell out of it.

Good luck,
Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts