Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty well known on my local rivers for not putting up with any **** when it comes to the general welfare of good ol Salmo Salar. I am either loved or hated by those who also frequent the salmon rivers of PEI. You may or may not know that i am 100% C&R and while sometimes and sometimes not to your face,,, secretly think less of you if you happen to kill a Salmon:hihi:
My question is this,,, and it applies to wild steelhead,, have you, or would you drop a dime on anyone who is up to no-good? Are you willing to relate a specific incident? I have had a few that have nearly come to fisticuffs and i can say that i have lost an acquaintance or two along the way regarding their attitude toward salmon fishing. I once "swam" a grilse for 30 minutes after i asked the owner of the "trout" what he had there? He at first said he had caught nothing until i heard it kick in the grass then tried to say it was a trout:saevilw: :saevilw: :saevilw: IDIOT!!! I cradled that grilse for 30 solid minutes(water was low 30's) until i felt it was ok and watched it the rest of the day,, it rested at the tail of a pool where i could keep an eye on it and seemed to be ok by nightfall. The fisherman near got his ass kicked over that one,,,, and yes,,, i made the call. I make on average about 10 calls to my local game warden each season and have yet to follow one case to court:confused: :confused: :confused:
Do you or don't you call in an offence,, or do you just leave it to "to each his own"???
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dam straight Dwayne!!!
that's awsome. Poaching is second nature in NL. I have burned salmon nets and got into fist fights for our wild salmon stocks, even disowned family due to poaching. Not good at all, I call the DFO, just wait until I'm a fishery guardian.

·
Administrator
19,701 Posts
Good for you Dwayne !!!!

Always report poaching !!!

These poachers may not understand C&R , nor the importance to sustain wild fish stocks , but I tell you what they understand , 6'-5'' 265lbs with horns drawn !!!! :saevilw:

Mike

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
fortunately, I haven't had to call, but would without hesitation if I witnessed something.

not a poaching story, but interesting:

was fishing this fall when I hooked up on what turned out to be an intermediate sinktip. Took a bit of wrestling but I manged to free it, and to my dismay I found that on the business end some unscrupulous fly fisher had tied a double fly rig, and both with barbs (regs on this river are single barbless hooks). I discarded the flies later but the sinktip went in my wallet.

On that note, anyone lose an intermediate tip with two flies attached this fall? Drop me an email and I'll mail the tip back to you!:saevilw:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same here Dana, but it was while singlehanding with the 3w on the Skagit (above Ross Lk. here in BC). C&R'd a trout with a 2 fly system wraped up around it but de-barbed.
Made a few calls to the 1-800 report line too.....nothing ever came of it.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Two summers ago I reported a fisherman keeping a wild steelhead during the catch & resease period on the Green. Gave the F&G officer their license plate number and truck description. The officer followed up with me and went to talk to the individual. He belived they did not realize it was catch & release. The officer did not realize that catch & release was in effect.

Rich

·
Registered
640 Posts
Definitely report, and have done so, but have seen trouble when civilians try to be enforcers. Use your good judgment about when to involve authorities from a safe distance vs. risking your own safety.

·
Registered
83 Posts
See no evil...hear no evil

Hi
This topic in my view strikes at the very heart on conservation and fair play.
In my time I have seen many variations of poaching and I confess that I have turned a blind eye to some.
I have seen occasions where paying clients ($2000 per week) have blanked on a prime salmon beat, and the ghillie has put on a shrimp (banned) so that the client can take a fish home.
In terms of double standards, I have less problems with this (the shrimp), than the locals who bring out the night time nets, or resort to foul hooking with treble hooks.
Neither is defensible, but the huge sums of money spent for some beats can be a corrupting influence.
Mike

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carl brings up a fine point. Be sure of the situation cause there are some lads out there who would think nothing of "givin you a good smash" That was a legitimate quote by the way. These guys don't wear G3's and they dont care about much other than a dead fish so be warned and use discretion when you "stick your nose" in places that it may not belong.
Don't lose a tooth or worse over something you see when a quick call from the bushes will serve the same purpose.
As to what you say Mitch,, the tales of newfie poaching are legendary. Working the oil rigs of Alberta with a lot of the fine lads from the rock,, i have been privvy to some unbelievable boasts of poaching madness:saeek: :saeek: Sad to hear and made me sick to my stomach,, angry and a few other things. However i kept my comments to myself cause riggers are some of the scrappiest bastards i have ever shared a drink with:smokin: I definately would have been arguing C&R with my fists those nights:chuckle:
When you do happen upon some illegal activity,, just be smart.
SC

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah Dwayne, in places here it's enough to make any person sick to their stomachs. If you've herd half the things I have (and I'm guessing you have) about blatant disrespect for our fish and wildlife. The things that I've herd and witnessed are indeed among the lowest form of human life.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I definately would call in an offense, but probably not before I put a rock through the poachers windsheild. That is absolutely unforgivable. Right now in WA there is a new law in effect (2 years old) that requires all wild fish intended for release to be kept in the water during release. For whatever reason, alot of flyfishermen think they're above the law (I think folks tend to forget too). While the fish are probably ok 99% of the time, I think EVERY precaution needs to be taken when releasing such a precious fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts