Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with a travel agent that books a lot of fly fishing trips. I had called to find out what I could regarding Katmai Lodge going bankrupt. (see Alaska travelers beware on the flyfishing forum) It seems that a lot of fishing lodges (or maybe just the ones outside the lower 48) are having a hard time keeping their doors open after 911.

How about some input from some of the guides who have been working these locations? Have you seen attendance drop off? Lodges close? What?

Sure seems like a shame. Katmai is/was one of the premere lodges on a great river. I wonder how many other lodges will cease to exist because of 911? :(

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
JD,

What is the reasoning linking lodge closures with 911? I know I was headed north to the Skeena a few days after 9-11 happened and there was certainly an impact on tourism then because of border closings. This was very short lived though. What about the tragedy of 9-11 is still impacting lodge business?

As an aside, I fished with a fried yesterday who reported that his favorite lodge on one of the Skeena tribs just sent out notice that this year's rates were going up 15% over past year's.

sinktip

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lodge closures

From the conversatiion I had with the travel agent, I got the impression, possibly unjustified but none the less, that air travel had been down since 911. And that had had an effect on the lodges. Blame it on what you will, safety concerns, increased prices due to increases in safety measures, increased hassles with equipment, whatever. I was told that there are several lodges in Alaska that have closed their doors, are on the market, and just sitting there, empty. Maybe these lodges were barely making it before & 911 was just the straw that broke the Camel's back. I don't know.

Rather than rely on a single source, I thought we might be able to get some input from some of the guys who guide at some of the lodges. Obviously, if business is slow for the lodges, the guides are going to know about it.

It saddens me to hear of anyone having to shut down a business. But to hear that some of these lodges, many of which may have been on someones wish list for years, having to shut down is especially saddening. I had been to Katmai Lodge ten years ago. It remains as one of the most memorable trips in my life. Will other lodges, in other locals, that are on my wish list still be around when the time comes that I can visit them? I hope so.

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lodges

Some that come to mind are Ponds on the Merrimichi, (sp) all the great lodges in B.C. South East Alaska, and then of course, there is Kamchatka. To quote Lee Wulff, "the time to go fishing is now" Emphasis, my own but I don't think Lee would object. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Last fall sitting in the lodge after a days fishing on one of the Skeena tribs, the owner told our group that the powers that be had raised the cost of his license a huge amount, I don't remember the specifics but it was a quadrupling or more. He told us that it would raise the cost at least $500 for the week which would be in the 15% ballpark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts