Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all other variables (line, leader, fly, conditions) were equal, would a 9' rod or a 10' rod give an angler:

a) more distance; and
b) better accuracy?

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
I have limited time with a 10' rod...but like my 9 1/2' rods. The 10' will get you more distance and better mending ability. I don't believe accuracy will be significantly different. Closer...the 9' might be more accurate. At distance I would say it's a toss up...with the 10' having the advantage.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
You have a longer lever with a 10' rod, but, at the same technology and line weight, they are also heavier, and this matters a lot with a single-handed rod in the heavier line weights. And because you can haul with a single-hander to add line speed, the longer-lever effect is IMO a less important factor in performance than with a two-hander. I have a modern, light 10' 7wt out of which I can get a lot of distance. But a 10' 8wt in a generation-older technology is heavier than I want to fish for any length of time. But I'm not nearly as efficient a single-handed caster as some I know.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When casting the same line longer rod gives very little more distance. Slightly more when you cast a line which has longer head or use more overhang. When it is windy shorter rod is easier to cast.

Esa

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. For me, fishing 99% of the time with 10footers in 3-4-5-6-8-9weights, the control of the line when fishing rivers matters most. Also when fishing from a boat, easier to keep the fish away from the hull. The "tiring" , longer leverage doesn´t matter, I just cast 30-50 casts on each run, then I rest and enjoy everything else, or search another run, aso. If a VERY long run would be fished, I reach for a switch.. Yours borano20

·
Registered
161 Posts
Depending on the quality of the rod, and the taper design, it depends.

Generally a shorter rod will give more accuracy, and the longer rod more distance and greater mending ability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts