Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Anderson

If you are considering custom builders, you might want to also consider an Anderson. I have an Anderson 13'3" 8 weight (in his Elite series) that I got earlier this year from another member and, for me, it is a stellar rod with either a scandi or skagit head on it. I haven't had a chance to put a delta on it, but looking forward to doing so this winter.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The Burkie 8139-3 has a stout tip and you can really feel the rod flex just above your hands when you cast it. Its pretty powerful and can really sling the Skagit stuff and longer lines. I personally would prefer it for Skagit "work."

Here it is at work- Not sure if its the -3 or -4.

The Highlander has a progressive action so the butt section feels stiffer. It is powerful. I would prefer it for touch and go casting with short and long shooting heads and spey lines. That is strictly my opinion and both rods can perform with all kinds of lines. They are both super cool sticks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
redfred,

We have two Highlanders in this power and length, each with different actions:

The S2H13679FES-4 is a uniform progressive action Highlander Classic.

The S2H1368S-4 is a Highlander "S" rod, and is a mid flex action rod.

The "S" rod is a bit deeper loading then the Classic, but will have comparable tip energy.

... Also have the S2H13678MKS-4: The MKS will load deeper into the cork, and will have more tip energy then would either the FES or the "S" rods.

All will have fast speeds of recovery, and all will have similar grain windows (500-800)

Your welcome to field test either one, or all three.

Meiz

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Short of Tarpon I doubt there's a fish going that this rod won't handle.

redfred,

We have two Highlanders in this power and length, each with different actions:

The S2H13679FES-4 is a uniform progressive action Highlander Classic.

The S2H1368S-4 is a Highlander "S" rod, and is a mid flex action rod.

The "S" rod is a bit deeper loading then the Classic, but will have comparable tip energy.

... Also have the S2H13678MKS-4: The MKS will load deeper into the cork, and will have more tip energy then would either the FES or the "S" rods.

All will have fast speeds of recovery, and all will have similar grain windows (500-800)

Your welcome to field test either one, or all three.

Meiz
This is the 'stick' that comes off the Jeep first if I'm fishing on Oregon Coastal rivers. Bob 'nailed it' with this design. I'm sure there have been 'tweaks' to the build/design as I think mine is #1 of the line. Old story but when I first cast that rod (I think it was lined with an Airflo 7/8 line) it was the first time I ever put all 120 feet in the air. This was a mini-clave at Tou Velle Park on the Rouge River; everyone wanted to get their hands on that rod.

Bugged the BeJesus out of poor Bob until he finally sold me the rod. :roll: The first of three of his "#1's" I've owned. ;)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Do you prefer Blonde's or Brunettes?

these are both great rods, was hoping for feelings from users about these two rods.
8136 highlander classic and 8139-4 burky.
thanks for all the replys
redfred
Both excellent rods, but the major difference is the Highlander is a multi-line weight rod, the Burkie is 'just one.' Personal preference over the years and I've gravitated to just a single rod weight number. If I want to fish a 'five,' that's exactly what I want to fish. A 'eight,' etc.

And yes, you really can tell the difference.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,266 Posts
I think a better question to ask would be,
" have a preference for such-and-such kind of action, I've been casting DH for X years in X styles, my current favorite rod is so-n-so with a (line) for (blank), and I plan on using it for (blank). Which of these rods would work better for me, in your opinion?"

Because, I'll tell ya, asking others for unqualified rod recommendations can lead to heartbreak and wasted money.

I'm a Meiser guy, and I like ACRs and Burkies and all the other brands just fine, even have some, But Bob's rods speak to me and I cast well with them. Objectively speaking, that doesn't help you much hey?

Only way to know, my friend, is to cast them both yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the feedback, hope to get to the sandy river clave next spring and try out these rods. just retired, plan to fish the northwest rivers, new enough to spey casting I don't have a preference, except sage method seems to stiff.
thanks redfred

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,266 Posts
hope to see you there!
Enjoy the discovery process, it's a gas.
Spaz

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This is the 'stick' that comes off the Jeep first if I'm fishing on Oregon Coastal rivers. Bob 'nailed it' with this design. I'm sure there have been 'tweaks' to the build/design as I think mine is #1 of the line. Old story but when I first cast that rod (I think it was lined with an Airflo 7/8 line) it was the first time I ever put all 120 feet in the air. This was a mini-clave at Tou Velle Park on the Rouge River; everyone wanted to get their hands on that rod.

Bugged the BeJesus out of poor Bob until he finally sold me the rod. :roll: The first of three of his "#1's" I've owned. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Fred ... Concerning your comments on single line number designations ...

The S2H13679FES-4 "Fred Evans Special" is a 7/8/9 ...

... Always has been since day one, and am honored that she is still "the stick that comes off the Jeep first ..." };^) ... !!!

The three number power designation does go a ways back in fly rod and line history <> The original RIO WindCutters (for example) where line designated as 6/7/8, 7/8/9 etc ... And many uniform progressive action rods do and did have this type of line rating: BWs and CNDs are just a couple examples from present and past ...

... All that the three number designation means is that if the rod is a 7/8/9: It will like a 7/8 off the tip, and an 8/9 will load deeper into the butt.

Net ... It is an 8 weight rod <> Simple as that !!!

This type of designation is only meant to assist in line selection, and actually can be very useful if the angler understands it's meaning.

Meiz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.