Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lines/grain window does this rod like? How does it compare to the 8139?

Thanks,

·
Registered
926 Posts
My main line with it is my XLT 7/8. Once the weather warms up, I'm looking forward to trying my new Carron Jetstream 9/10 with it. It should be fine, but it's possible it might be a just a touch heavy.
Lovely rod.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Though shorter it is slightly stronger than the 8139..
it was designed around a DT salmon 9 but will cast almost any spey line

9/10/11 WC. 8/9/10 WC 7/8/9 wc
8/9, 7/8 and even the 6/7 mid spey
though i have not cast it with an XLT i am sure it would cast well with either the 8/9 or the 7/8 maybe even the 6/7
just depends on how you want the rod to feel

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rob, lets get together and throw the 13'3 and the 13'9 side by side because mine sure doesn't feel as strong. I really like the rod but I think the right line on the 13'3 is the 6/7 mid spey.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I have not seen Burkheimer's catalog so I don't know how he's labelling the rods, but I have cast the 13'3" 6/7/8. Is this the same rod Kevin? If so, and you want a short head that rock with tips the Loop Quattro 9/10 was absolutely amazing on this rod. So much so that it convinced me that I must have this rod. With a type 8 tip and heavy fly it lifted with ease and the forward delivery to about 80 feet was just a tap of the bottom hand using the Scandinavian underhand technique.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Kevin just sent it out to me and I will let you know in a couple months what lines work well on it :chuckle:

-sean

·
Banned
161 Posts
7133 vs. 8133

The 7133 (13'3" 6/7/8) is a very different rod than the 8133 (13'3" 7/8/9). I have the 8133 and it is capable of throwing a lot of different lines. I have yet to really dial a skagit line for it, but am leaning toward a grain window is the high 600s. The 7133, while a great rod, is probably limited to a somewhat lower number.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sean,

How about you send me the bazillion or so reels and lines you have
and I will break them in for you. :saevilw:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well with the way you are collecting burkies I do not know if I have enough reels for them all. Will have to get over to Aarons soon so I can cast some of those things...

-sean

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just say no Sean if anyone offers to let you cast one. You may lose that special feeling for your current favorite. :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kevin,
I am working on a new short head for my 8139 Approximately 635gr in 43'. I am planning to go to Aarons' gig on Saturday. We can try it on the 8133 if you are there. I think it should match up well.
RichM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kevin,
I weighed the line with a 130gr tip, so we can also bump it up a bit with 150gr tips to see if even more grains are needed.
Rich

·
Registered
427 Posts
sorry I've been away. I have the 8133, this summer on a Klick float I had the rod lined with 7/8 mid spey everyone felt it was overlined. I started fishing my Diawa with a 6/7 mid Spey and then thought about trying the 6/7 on the 8133 and it came back to life.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Andre you should bring that rod in sometime it shouldn't feel overloaded with the 7-8 mid spey i have cast that combo before and it was a rocket

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rob, I ran into Kerry the other day and we are going to look at a couple of things. Now I guess it falls on me to get to the shop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts