Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAd a great relaxing day yesterday...finally nailed down a good one drop beat on the drums..drank a lil wine and tied some bugs

these are on Blue heron #1 and #2 hooks

My goal was to work on mylar bodies, rib spacing and overall flow...Im going to tie a spey this year..I just want to nail down some techniques to be able to come correct

I was generally pleased and I hope you all like as well

All followed the same platform..they are just fishing flies...not one is identical
Some have 6 ribs others 7 , others 5...in some I started the body hackle mid way and others at the 2/3 space...I did try to follow the rib on some just because..

Visually I tried to match the tails with the wings and guineau colors

TAil...2-3 pheasant rump feathers
1st 1/2 Body..Mylar
2nd 1/2 Body..Estatz
Rib..fine braid
Body Hackle...Grey Or Brown Spey hackle
Collar#1..Black Pheasant Rump
Collar#2..Guinea
Wing/roof...3 pheasant feathers tied flat
Cheeks..JC

Thanks for looking!

D

Attachments

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
these are cool. you did a set like this not so long ago that were lovely too. You are one tying machine brother. lovin it. the blue pheasant feathers are badass.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really like these. Solid tying. The color combs, and wings are great! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Woot!
Those blues are outta sight!
Very nice all around.
James

·
Registered
48 Posts
David stop playing around and step out of your comfort zone. Haha I stepped up to tying spey's and it was you pushing me into the deep end first. Thanks brother for making me change over to the most technical ties I've tied in my life. As usually I get to see these flies in person and these pictures don't do them justice. You have mastered this style. When your ready I'll come by with a bottle of something strong and we can both tie Spey's and laugh. Talk later pal and again beautiful flies.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Man up and tie a Spey already! Stop teasing us!!!

Wonderful offerings as always, David. Truly exceptional.

Thanks for sharing,

-Bill

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,701 Posts
Hook Identification

Please advise what hook Thanks

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,701 Posts