Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forum. I just bought a 7wt TFO deer creek switch rod. I have yet to receive it. My question involves the action. I hear it has quite a bit of bend to it and am wondering if that is a good or a bad thing. I want to use it to primarily spey cast and swing flies for ohio steelhead. It is coming with a 465 grain rio switch chucker. The other rod I considered was the redington prospector, which has a faster action, but a friend recommended the deer creek so thats what I went with. I guess im looking for verification that the deer creek is a good spey caster with its action :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have this rod and am using a RIO Short Skagit 475 as well as a custom made line I cut from a RIO Short 625 cut back to 17 feet and 500 grains. It also does ok with a 425 Short - so handles a pretty good range of grains and while not my favorite rod - I am pretty pleased with it.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Hi
I'm running 2, 12ft 6 in. 5/6 Deer Creek rods. Love them. I don't call them fast but very nice to cast. Timing can be off but you can still get in a good cast.
Bjay

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is not a fast taper at all. Deer Creek rods are one of my fav's for production type rods. It is just fine, you just have to relax your casting stroke a bit and allow the rod/line to catch up with you. I much prefer a progrssive or slower taper on my rods anyway.

Enjoy the stick!

(Former Ohioan and fisher of Erie tribs)

Eric

·
Registered
34 Posts
hei hei,

i have the deer creek 13´7/8 and the deer creek switch 11´ #7 and i use as a scandit :) the echo/airflow Rage compact with 27 gram. i use also a zpey fusion 2 in 27 gram and for a skagit set up i use the rio max short in 32 gram/ 500 grain.

i think the deer creeks as a spey rod are softer from the action then the switch version. the switch have little more beef in the butt section.

regards from oldervik/ norway

kevin

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have that rod, it's a good tool if you use it correctly. Just my personal opinion but I would avoid the switch type lines. The longer heads on this rod are generally going to be a headache unless you have been spey casting for a while.

If you want to swing flies I would go with a skagit switch (21-22ft) in the 450 range and 10' tips not to exceed 140 grains.

For skating dries I would use whatever scandi/short belly you like again in the 450 range.

Nymphing is a different deal, I use a 6/7 Delta but it casts best with the transition at the hands. Anything longer than that and the casting stroke gets pretty picky.

Overall a really nice little rod, have fun with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Rod !!

Great Rod, I really enjoy swinging floating lines with this rod!!
Versatile in tight spots nymphing as well. I had to slow down and load the Rod for best performance. No problem handling 10+ lb. steelhead with this setup.

Good Luck Enjoy !!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Like Rick said over line 2 sizes and cut back to around 18 feet, line will sail of into the horizon. I have the 9wt switch and have a compact cut down to 18 feet. Puts a smile on my face every time I cast it

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have this rod.
It was my first 2 hander. Love this with a 450 Rage or 510 switch skagit for larger flies and getting deep. Even though I don't use this rod that often anymore I refuse to sell it.

Emel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts