Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a 7 wt spey rod that will handle tips yet not be overpowering for trout and smallmouth bass and maybe summer steelhead. any suggested rods to look at?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
any length, or falling into a length window?

not much hands on experience but no complaints on my ARC 1287. i dont see it as being over powering either. SG

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Bob Meisers 1356 (actually a light 7 weight, 13' 5/6/7) throws the 6/7 Delta and Delta long with tips like nobody's business.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never cast a spey rod that wouldn't overpower trout and smallmouth... Just my personal preference based on the fishing zi have done I see no call for a spey rod in either trout or freshwater bass fishing.

I am not a big fan of compromises.. get a good bass rod then get a good summer steelhead 7wt spey.. just my opinions..

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Last weekend I was fishing the CND 13'4" 6/7 Solstice. I was fishing one of Riveraddict's Skagit lines and used 5' and 7' tips of T-14, once again to Ed's specs. In addition I was flinging large Intruders. The rod didn't even flinch.
However, if a rod is properly lined it should be able to cast most tips (within reason anyway). The set-up was to search for dollies and the one I caught was suited to the rod, but had I hooked an early steelhead I wouldn't have been worried.

Trout and smallmouth? I don't know much about smallmouth, but if trout were the target I would definitely be looking at something lighter than a 7 wt. Naturally the 5/6 Spey Tracker would be my choice :hihi:

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Ditto Moose

But I'm using the Meiser 13' 6/7.

Great fights on smallies, chrome and early kings. Also caught pike and walleye with it.

I throw a MS 6/7 w/tips.

Smallies go dig, dig, dig. Chrome goes ripping runs, jump, ripping runs. Kings go run, bulldog, sulk.

Great fun.

Gary

·
Registered
869 Posts
T&T 1307-3 my personal favorite. i regularly fish it with 5 ft of t-14 and it can handle about 9 ft. and still spey cast.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
loophitech said:
i'll second moose on the meiser 1356. along with the delta lines, it works well with the loop adapted line and tips.

vinnie
I'd be interested in hearing how you set up that adapted line system for the 1356. Are you throwing the full 7/8 on it? What tips?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.