Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
choices.

I've run a couple of line combo's through this rod and (I think?) it would prefer a WF type of spey line. For those of you (Inland speak up here!) what has 'rung your bell?

fae

·
Registered
889 Posts
Fred,

If the wind is not blowing too hard, midspey 6/7 is great up to about 85' or 90'. If you want to break the 100' mark the 7/8 midspey is better, but is not as nice for short/medium work. A good compromise might be the long delta 6/7.

7/8 XLT is good up to about 75', way too much for any more. 6/7 XLT is doable, but a bit light.

Windcutter 7/8/9 works better than the 6/7/8.

A regular old fashioned DT9 is OK, DT 8 is a bit light.

My favorite line on the rod is a modified midspey 6/7. I took the fattest part of another 6/7 midspey (that was sacrificed to line experiments) and put 3' in the new line. This extended the head to 59' and total grain weight to approx. 520.

William

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Have a DT 9 so will give that a go.

Bob Meiser is lending me a couple of his Airflo lines (a cool thing as I also want to experiment with the new rod I just got from him).

As both rods are similarly 'line rated,' it will be fun to swap lines between them. (PS: you did a beautiful job!!!)
fae

·
Registered
45 Posts
Burkie 7137

Fred,
I have one of Kerry's 7-8-9 rods in a 13'9" length and I'm using the 7/8 XLT with it, which works nicely. Perhaps Steve can hook you up with some recommendations this coming weekend.

If you go with a Rio, William nailed it. Simon suggests you use one of the following for the Burkheimer CF 7137-3. A Windcutter 6/7/8 if you prefer a faster action or the 7/8/9 Windcutter if you like a more traditional feel. Likewise with their Midspey, the 6/7 for a Euro action or 7/8 for the that traditional feel. As to the Grand Spey, he doesn't recommend this taper for your rod.

By the way, does anybody know what happened with Kerry's website? It's been down for weeks now and there's no link to another location on the web. Has he abandoned the web as a marketing tool?

John

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I believe Roballenposted the other day that the Burkheimer website is being redone and will be back up in the near future.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really ran the new Burkie through it's paces

this morning on the upper river (nothing but dinks again, but one fellow below me hooked 5 fall kings on his fly rod ... greedy guy!) and the short head 7/8 airflo is a very nice combo. Espcially if you're running surface flys.

Will swap this out with the 7/8 xlt this afternoon and give it a go 'during lunch' this week.
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: the 7/8 XLT works very well with..

this rod. It's like a line was designed for a specific rod in mind (maybe it was?? Steve C has a lot of Burkie rods.)

Rod will also handle honking big king's in the river. Fishing Tuesday evening at upper Tou Velle Park ... wade out into river for first cast and got ' butted' by a cromer king! Darn thing nearly knocked me over hitting me behind the knees.

Turns out the riffle in front of me was alive with the things .... amazing how strong 8# floro carb. leader can be.

fae

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey Fred use your 9weight on them Kings!!

glad you are having fun with the little stick.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts