Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've just got a Sage 7136 brown IIIe used, but not too. I want to put an Abel on it, Super Series. What size? I believe I'm looking toward a Rio Windcutter 6/7/8 or versa tip (although I am just starting out spey-wise and want to make it a relatively reasonable learning curve). I fish small to medium rivers for steelhead up to 15 pounds... please help.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
I would purchase a Super 11 for it...you could get a Super 9 (and the super 9 spool will fit into the Super 11 frame) but it would be a tight fit.

Avoide the Super 10 as it is too wide and too small of an arbor for my tastes.

Plus a 4N spool will pop into that same frame and allow you to fish longer belly lines on larger Spey rods.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
The 9/10/11 with midbelly taken out works
quite well on 7136. It handles 15' type six
sinker no problem with very little effort.

Kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NrthFrk16 said:
I would purchase a Super 11 for it...you could get a Super 9 (and the super 9 spool will fit into the Super 11 frame) but it would be a tight fit.

Avoide the Super 10 as it is too wide and too small of an arbor for my tastes.

Plus a 4N spool will pop into that same frame and allow you to fish longer belly lines on larger Spey rods.
Cool, that's what I need to find out... being new to this I started to realize that the normal sizing guidelines were for the most part out the door. Weight is okay, huh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big K1 said:
The 9/10/11 with midbelly taken out works
quite well on 7136. It handles 15' type six
sinker no problem with very little effort.

Kevin
Okay, so I get a Rio 9/10/11 Windcutter, remove the entire midbelly and splice, then work with a couple of different 15' tips to accomodate the loss... up to type 6? My goal is to be able to learn my casting while at the same time being able to get down and maybe touch a steelie or two... motivational thing, right?

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
You can use what ever tip you want. Floating, intermediate,
type 3, 6, 8,and so on they have loops. By removing the
the midbelly section you create a shooting head. You said
you fish small to medium rivers. This will cast 70' with a type
six and heavy fly with little effort.

Kevin

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
trinitysteel said:
Cool, that's what I need to find out... being new to this I started to realize that the normal sizing guidelines were for the most part out the door. Weight is okay, huh.
Well, first off I always recommend a small arbor reel, because it's much more versatile. The 4N (as opposed to the same frame with the super 11 spool) has WAY more backing than you will ever need with the lines you will throw on a 7136, but it makes it much easier to justify the 8/9 spey rod, or 10/11 saltwater single stick you will "need" later ;) I'm sure Sparky would be more than happy to sell you the 4N spool later though if you've fallen for the large arbor hype :devil:

If you are going to get a large arbor in the Abel price range, and you like cork drags, and you are limiting it to the 7136, the tibor riptide is a perfect match for the old Brownie. My first year in the northwest, that combo is pretty much what I fished from June to November. Pretty hard to go wrong with Abel or Tibor, or any of the other high end reels really.

So many choices, so little funds :devil:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Forget Sinktip for Learning

Trinity - forget the sinktip for learning and get some lessons. That will shorten the learning curve and avoid bad habits that are more difficult to correct later.

The WC 9-10-11 with tip two removed is basically a Skagit system and should work well, especially for tip work. If you are dry lining at some point, the 7/8 middspey lines work very well on that rod.

I used the Abel #3 for several years with that rod and a midspey, a larger arbor just makes it nicer.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
trinitysteel

I have the brown 7136.

The best line for it is the MS 6/7 or the WC 678 is #2 if you don't use the tips a lot. In fact if you opt for the WC 678 forget the tips and save money by buying just the floating line.

The best reel that I have put on it is the Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill Large Arbor 9/10. You will be limited re the amount of backing you use particuliarly with the MS 6/7. That is not an issue with the waters that you fish.

The BKLA 9/10 balances the 7136, and it has an incredible pickup re line return when you reel in the fish. That is very helpful to me when I use a (Gasp) indicator and get a strike in close with a lot of line outside the reel. The drag will handle any trout in California and Trinity Steelhead. It has handled a lot of footballs with fins and scales sized trout in the Yuba and Putah creek. I have to back the fish up on to the shore with this limber rod. Also, after hooking my self several times while grabbing and releasing a big trout when fishing with more than one fly, I now just fish with one fly.

The 7136 is my late spring, summer, early fall rod for trout, summer steelhead and half pounders. It is basically effortless to cast with the MS 6/7 floating line. You can cast farther than you can set the hook on a dry fly or a minimal sub surface fly.

The 7136 in my hands is worthless with tips, shad fishing and winter steelhead. However, for the late spring, summer and early fall fishing, it is the best light spey rod for N. California that I have tried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts