Spey Pages banner

$700 waders??????

14K views 77 replies 39 participants last post by  Salmon Chaser 
#1 ·
Recieved a noted cataloge of flyfishing gear. thumbing through the waders section, and I see the Simms G4 guide wader.. kinda crazy looking, "zipper included", you know, for those emergencies... amazing what standing in freezing water will do to one's biologics... anyways, looked through the description, high tech stuff... THEN I SAW THE PRICE......:eek: :whoa:

Seriously, is there a market for $700 waders???? I paid $325 for my Bean Hella-toughs 3 years ago. And then I thought I spent more than I should, although I've been happy w/ their durability... But $700?? I could buy several pairs of GOOD gortex waders for that, and I suspect that total investment would outlast one pair of G4's. particularly if the perform as "well" as teh G-3's, as many have reported... HELL, I could buy a couple good spey rods for that!!

At what point does "technology" become to much?? and we simply become gadgeteers, and not fisherman/women??

#5 ·
$700 for waders?!!.....

:eek:

The 'guide' waders by the same Co., IMHO haven't really been bettered by the G3's, and probaly not these new G4's.

Anyone wishing not wishing to undo the shoulder braces & lower the waders for the call of nature, I'm sure could rig up a hydration bag in reverse within the waders for such eventualities, and thus stay in the river all day!!

#6 ·
I dunno. First adopters of new ideas are always going to pay for it on the tech side of things. Hell I just spent $500 on a new smart phone. My g3 wading jacket was spendy but the best thing I have ever bought gear wise.

The early g3 wader had some fit problems and mine had some leaking as well. After sending them back once I have not had any problems since. I think losing 30 pounds helped with the fit problem as well...Not ideal for an expensive wader but I will say the g3s are the most comfortable wader made. Hopefully in this new revision they have ironed things out.

Simms is pushing the envelope with these waders and introducing new concepts to the market. It will not take long for copy cats to do the same thing. The PKK zipper has been battle tested pretty well by the skiiing/snowboard crowd and I would not be worried about it as a fail point. More so the seams and booties.

In the end you always pay for new technology. Same goes for rods. The new loomis rods aint cheap but they are some of the lightest best casting long rods you will find. It is up to the consumer to decide if it is worth it to them.

I have always been of the mindset that waders and the other gear to protect one from the elements are way more important than the fishing rod. I can catch a fish on a $30 kmart special just fine but if I cannot wade or protect myself from the rain and snow it is game over. If anything I would complain about rods being more expensive than waders :rolleyes:

-sean

#7 ·
Something for everybody.

"Simms G4 Guide Stockingfoot Wader 2007 - benchmark Gore-Tex® wader !! The most advanced fishing wader on the market with unprecedented performance through increased durability, design, and features. Adjustable stretch space mesh suspender system for added comfort D-ring at center-back suspender yoke Patented YKK® Aquaseal® waterproof center-front zipper Zippered hand warmer pockets with quick-drying microfleece lining 2 Thermolaminated Schoeller® fabric chest pockets hold medium fly boxes Adjustable, removable belt system featuring Simms neoprene Wading Belt Built-in belt loop Incorporates more 5-layer fabric than any other wader, throughout legs, waist and seat Co-extruded nylon/polyester outer fabric throughout for added puncture resistance Patented leg seam construction for improved fit, increased articulation, and decreased leg seam abrasion New Stockingfoot with hourglass seam design for increased durability Accessories include retractor docking station and forceps tab at chest Repair kit included 19 sizes available ... "

Hay guys, those "Thermolaminated Schoeller fabric chest pockets" must add at least a hundred bucks ..... Geeze Louise.:roll:

"Hell I just spent $500 on a new smart phone." Man, I don't know anybody I want to talk to for that much moola. Mine cost fifty bucks; too bad it's Cingular (sp?) service. I can drop calls just walking around in my own home .. and I can see TWO towers out my back windows.

#8 ·
Simms may be pushing the envelope with most things but the zipper idea is not new. A german brand Behr(sp?) had them a while ago. They are the same type of zipper used in drysuits, are they not? $700.00 is steep for waders though the new Guide classics sound like a good deal. The seams are getting moved to the front & back of the legs and they will have built in gravel guards.

#9 ·
Jamey McLeod said:
For $700.00 I want a trap door on the back side also, just to be sure I am covered for all emergencies.
Now that I would pay 700 big ones for. :saeek:

BTW Has anyone seen the new Cabelas fly fishing catalog. They have the G4's on one page for 700 and the William's Joseph on the opposite page (with same features) for 298. :hihi:

#11 ·
They are the same type of zipper used in drysuits, are they not?
Have you cost a good dryuit lately? You are going to at least pay $1500 for a decent one. The william joseph ones look pretty good but they are not goretex.

Like I said to each his own but I (and a lot of you) have no problem with owning mulitple (I have 8) $500 - $1000 spey rods that get used nowhere near as much as that pair of waders that get pulled on every time you go fish. If they get good reviews and are bombproof I may pick up a pair and it aint about looking cool. It is about being dry and warm on cold days and dry and cool on hot days.

-sean

#12 ·
My take on it...if you can afford them, and the the kids are fed and bills are paid...why not? It's your money, do with as you will. Just as long as the quality is there. Personally I think opperating that zipper will be harder than just undoing the shoulder clips and rolling down the front to do your business.

#13 ·
but is it worth the extra $3-500 dollars??

going on 3 years w/ my hellatoughs from Bean. other than two small pin-prick holes on the heal of one neoprene booty from wear and tear of wading boots, they've been bullet proof. no seams have leaked, the most comfortable pair I've worn. I've known guys w/ original Guides who have more years than that on them w/ no problems... And I know guys who have the cheap knock offs who've had no problems either... where as the g3's............... More money doesn't mean better product. And when the $$'s are going to what I consider nothing more than gimmicks (sealed handwarmers, crotch access, and "Thermolaminated Schoeller fabric chest pockets"), sorry, just don't get it... :roll:

where as rods.... well, i'm down to one $750 rod that gets as much play as my waders do.... can't afford a stable of them like so many of the rest of you do....:whoa:

I agree, do what you want to do w/ your money, so long as your kids aren't going to school barefoot or your wife/husband is driving your POS fish rig to work... But personnally, I'd rather put that extra $3-500 into a TU or WSC or some other organization that can do something to PUT MORE FISH OUT THERE, for you to freeze your brass monkey's off trying to catch...:whoa: :smokin:

#14 ·
Jamey McLeod said:
For $700.00 I want a trap door on the back side also, just to be sure I am covered for all emergencies.
Dude, for $40 stop by the Walgreens and pick up a box of these....all day comfort...no need to stop fishing to pull it out into the cold....just keep working your way down the run.

Attachments

#15 ·
seem to recall...

in a thread quite a while back, that a certain angler seriously recommended this option to the heed to nature's call... his solution to having to get out of line to take care of business... Something about the effects of sub-freezing water temperature to the need to relieve one's self... Believe it was a Great laker that brought this novel idea forward....... :hihi:

I like in paticular the "wetness indicator"... wouldn't that be exciting... get done w/ a day of freezing your brass monkeys in cold a$$ water, peal, your waders off and....."Damn, I did wet myself!!! I couldn't tell!!!":chuckle:

#16 ·
True enough on Dry suits costing $1500 but the zippers don't cost that. Simms chose the ykk brand.
The fact that the waders are not any more bomb proof than the guide classics is my point. For example the G3's cost more but aren't any better than the Classics. As a matter of fact, quite a few people like the classics as the fabric is softer & not as stiff.
But, I agree...to each their own

#19 ·
Agreed, for $700 I expect them to put themselves on and release a nice fragrance.

#22 ·
Dana...

sure they do... they're even cane rods... course, they disguise them as crappie sticks or panfish specials... but hell, they require two hands... you can even get 16'ers, that should turn your head!!! :chuckle: :D

#23 ·
I think anyone who would actually pay $700US for a pair of these new G4 waders is out of thier mind,LOL.

You can buy 2 pair of the Simms Guides or Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guides for the same price and there's no question which would last you the longest.If anyone thinks a single pair of G4's would even come close to holding up as long as 2 pair of these then they are kidding themselves.

If a person absolutely has to have a pair of waders with a waterproof zipper in them,then check out the new Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guides EZ-Zip models.$250US less than the G4's,no inside leg seams in the "critical areas",double seat and legs,and absolutely loaded with extra features(velcro closing gravel guards,tippet holders in front pocket,zippered fly box pockets,fleece lined hand warmer pockets,and much more),plus everyone knows how well the Baileys hold up to abuse.

#25 ·
Zippers on waders are a stupid idea. You can pee with any wader on without taking your jacket off just by clicking the buckles around your neck and the pulling the waders down. Get a dribble once in a while but heck that's what wicking underwear is for.

The original guides are the best deal going no need to improve perfection.

#26 ·
'The original guides are the best deal going no need to improve perfection'

You mean perfecting the art of leaking? Have you used any other brands of waders to compare? Which ones? For how long? Under what circumstances? Did you pay full dollar? Or get them on pro-form? I'm really curious.

William

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.