Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fun morning practicing two handed casting with the SHD 3D line. I started with soft hackles with great presentations and thought I'd try a small Crystal Bugger. I shortened up the leader and lo and behold, got great presentations. The water I was "fishing" was not likely to produce much more than a channel cat or smallmouth, but the outfit worked great. I will definitely bring this combo to a good sized trout stream next when temps permit. The 3D places the fly in the zone with nice straight swings and good "mendability". Nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That should read SHS 3D. The spell checker must have been programmed by a gear fisherman...

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
That is a very cool line! I use one on a SH rod with both overhead and spey casts, but have a few other trout speys I probably should try it on. I sort of feel like I need to buy another for backup since I wonder if this line will get discontinued sooner than average - it’s kind of a specialty variation on a specialty variation, if you know what I mean.

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too have wondered if I should buy two for every rod I own or am about to buy, because the Rio Single Handed Spey 3D rocks. That would be pricey, but I would avoid the "should 'a done it when I could" scenario...

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More success yesterday in a small pond about 60 feet wide and 120 feet long fed by a blue hole creek with the 4 wt. Winston microspey. My wife was laughing at me for going to the two hander in small water. It worked great with a small Thin Mint swung and micro-stripped. I really enjoyed it. The 14 and 18 inchers put a nice bend in the sweet, sweet rod and the SHS 3D casts just great. I had to take care not to cast too far, or I'd be fishing the grass on the other side. It was easier to stay out of surrounding trees with the Spey casts. After fishing close up by dapping, I didn't mind lining those trout to cover the rest. The tip of the SHS 3D helped present the thin mint where I wanted it even when shortlining from the rod tip.

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk

·
newcomer to spey casting
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jddietrich, I'll have to check out that 3wt Orvis recon. That would be sweet complement to my trout Spey rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts