Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on high end Spey rod 7 or 8 wt prefer strong 7 to cast under tree lined banks of sloty coastal rivers high water agaist trees and willows compact skaigit rod / summer treelined hard to fish summer lies fishing Scandi of course on coastal rivers need to cast large flies when needed/mostly fishing dry flies in summer spots I know 2 rods would be better leaning 70 percent winter work don't like tipy rods more bend down in cork but strong tip fast recovery rod / want a 4 piece rod only

·
btree
270 Posts
Switch rods in the 11ft area will do all those tricks. Lots of great options.

I built a 6/7 off a Meiser blank that does all I want as long as I don't chase chinook.

But my father-in-law has a 7/8 beulah classic that pretty much casts the same lines and handles the same fish, though he does push it to chase early chinook on smaller rivers when the water is low and clear.

What's your budget?

·
Carp aficionado
1,234 Posts
If you can find the Loop Opti 7116, I would highly recommend it. Not made anymore but it's a great stick that fits your criteria.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Meiser 11'7" 6/7/8. Absolutely in love with the stick. All winter and spring the stick loves the skagit and that is what I use 90% of the time. This summer I put the scandi on and threw foam poppers for smallmouth. I even got a Rio switch line for indicator fishing on some of our little creeks when I trek home. The rod is so versitle. Rod flexes deep into the cork and still had enough backbone that I can chase salmon in the fall before the steelhead arrive. That said this rod is not the best at nymphing the tip isn't as stiff as other switch rods but I almost never nymph so it's not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts