Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rod has revolutionised my fishing.

Have tried a delta 7/8 with this rod, but i prefer a more delicate approach.
I've read good things on the TT, but which way to go ?
the steelhead, or the spey.

I'm using this rod with casts upto 60 feet, would prefer not to shoot line, but would still like the option to do so. Only need to turn over flies upto size 6 with the smallest being a 10.

using this rod as a prawning rod, throwing small spey type patterns into the edges of our braided fast saltwater runs and riffles.

The white line would help with the night time stuff too.

But what head length ?, and what weight ?
I was surprised to find that the delta needed nearly the whole head out to really wake this rod up.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When you say that you'd prefer something more "delicate," do you mean a lighter line, or a heavier line that wakes up the rod, as you put it, with less line out? I ask b/c I use the 6/7 Delta on my old 6126 brownie and love it. Sage, we're talking, right?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Line 4 6126

Try an SA 6/7 XLT A long belly line with a very long fine front taper as on the TT lines. And, contrary to popular belief, although seldom neccessary, long belly lines can be shot. You should have no trouble at all turning over the size flies you are using.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the teal colored blank, and i would like a progressive type line, which can be delicate but also give that woken up feeling (sweet spot).

Thats why i was looking a wulff TT as i should be able to adopt the best of both worlds. Most of my work with this rod requires around 60 or so feet out, and i'd like to do this on the belly without shooting.

Saying that the line needs to work at shorter ranges too, and 40 feet of line says to me i would need the heavier line to give the grains to load the rod.

I've thought also of adopting the front of a DT but everyone says this isn't a 6#wt rod. I have a 7#wt DT line and it seems to like a good 55 feet of that to get the rod working. 60 feet feels ok but much over feels overloaded unless i'm overpowering the rod which seems unlikely as i have a fairly smooth cast.

Yet i believed the AFTM ratings to accomodate 70 feet of #6wt which would be i guess a few feet less in a #7wt DT.

Is there a way to determine exactly how many grains a rod will cast and do you factor in the weight of the fly too ?. I've had this problem with a few rods now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: JDJones "Try an SA 6/7 XLT".

Thats a recommendation i can try, thanks.
I actually steered away from long belly lines as i've never considered myself an expert spey caster. I've always gone short head and or DT depending on what i'm trying to achieve.

I guess it can't hurt to try a long belly line, and they are easy for me to obtain.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Quite frankly, if you're looking to fish up to 60 or 70 feet, I think the Wulff Spey would be a good choice. Although I'm not sure what weight . . . my only Wulff Spey line is an 8, which fits my 7/8 spey rod well. The head length is 70 ft on my 8 weight and it handles casts to 80ft very nicely. For my single-handed fishing, I use TTs exclusively and love them. I don't, however, like the TT "steelhead" line.

I'm also a great lover of long bellied spey lines, especially XLTs . . . and have been using them from hand-spliced early versions, through prototypes and production lines in many sizes. They're terrific lines to fish at distance without shooting line, however, I believe they only begin to cast well above 50 ft. If I were only fishing closer (say 35 or 40 ft and up to 60 ft) I might prefer the TT.
My .02.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a brownie. I've used a Rio Mid-Spey 6/7 for as long as I've had the rod. 60' isn't a problem and there's plenty of rod to shoot quite a bit further. I tried a 6/7 XLT on it, but went back to the mid-spey.

Jims

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks everyone.

JD: that thread answered many questions and pretty much describes the fishing we are doing. Even though its pure saltwater, we still require presentation.

wrke: and jimsand:

I've taken your idea's on board, and the wulff sounds real nice, however it is a fact that there is more data available on the XLT. But, i have taken note of your sub 50 feet remark, and find this may be a deciding factor.

A midspey. Never used one. We haven't really got the facilities to try rods, lines etc and we are in a real outta the way place fishing flies in the salt and getting laughed at by those not clued up enough to know what we are doing.

Thier loss i say.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The Rio MidSpey 7/8 should work great for you or even the 6/7 Mid Spey.

I have the MS 7/8 with tips, and it is the work horse for my beloved 6126.

On a recent trip to the Chetco, beautiful native Cuts were hitting floating caddis flies 60 feet out.

I went to my old MS 6/7 Floating line, with a Rio 15' Steelhead leader and about 3' of Rio's 6x / 3.4 tippet and a white winged Caddis Dry size 12 with a green body. When, I could parachute out 60' of line and the stacking leader/tippet into their striking lane, I usually hooked one of these beauties.

I don't have the skills to cast either MS line with heavy upstream or in the face winds. Then I go to the RIO WC 678 with tip one removed and replaced with the WC 6/7/8 upgrade with the leader attaced to the end loop. That enables me to hammer flies into the wind or across wind. With the longer upgrade, you don't have to shoot line. I have messed around using the Floating tip from the MS 7/8 with the WC 678, and I'm getting out there with a fairly soft landing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
strung up the rod with an xlt 6/7 and wow !
Does everything i need.
I did notice that it has a beautiful turnover at mid ranges, but shorter than 40 feet it becomes more difficult.
That may be my style though.

All in all, an experiment gone right for once.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Allright!

Glad you finally got around to trying tha XLT line and are pleased with the results. Due to that extremely long, fine front taper, anything less than 50/60 feet of line (from the reel) is just going to be a tip cast. :wink: Now you know why I can't fish close in. :chuckle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts