Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need a head for a Sage X 8130 I just picked up used. My current collection of heads only goes up to 570 and from chatting with a few experts and doing my own research, 600 gr. seems to be the sweetspot for a skagit line on this rod. That's not the topic I'd like to get input on though.

I have a few Airflo Skagit Compact G2s already and really like them. Tight loops, great taper, and extremely durable. People seem to really like the RIO Skagit Max though. I see tons of people on the water with them. I will never buy another RIO single hand line because I think they are of poor quality, though the tapers are fine. I've had more than one trout line crack and/ or start sinking after one season. I'm very diligent about cleaning (just with clean water and rag) and take great care of my stuff. I do know the Skagit heads are also made of PVC coated nylon braid. The trout lines are solid PVC I think. So would it be dumb to by a skagit head from them made with some of the same material?

Thanks!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
No line is made of solid PVC, they all have a core of some kind. Rio vs Airflo is like Ford vs Chevy, everyone has their favorites. I've had both, & for a long time used Ace Vision heads. When Airflo came out with the first gen Skagit Compacts years ago, I tried them & never looked back.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Rio v. Airflo is truly your preference, stick with the airflo if you like the taper. If you have a 570 airflo give that a go on the X; while that rod can throw 600 gr easily, the line speed of 570/575 gr may make you a believer, makes the X much livelier IMO.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,658 Posts
I need to ask, why just a skagit with that specific weight. I'm sure that rod is capable of throwing many types and sizes of line/heads.

I tend to stick with scandis and longer lines for ease of casting.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts