Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking high and low for a good, under $500 6wt spey rod. Most people pointed me to the CND 1306 or the Meiser 1356. Red Shed was great enough to mail me the CND for my trip to the Grande Ronde (awesome fishing) but me and the CND did not hit it off. I had it in my head that I was going to get a blank from Meiser, I just don't think there is a better buy (at least I couldn't find one). But, at the last minute I found a used Meiser 1356. What a find! It is beautiful! I casted it before I bought it with a SA short 6/7 wt line. My question here is before I buy a line what other lines should I look at? Thanks for any input.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
drbfish said:
I have been looking high and low for a good, under $500 6wt spey rod. Most people pointed me to the CND 1306 or the Meiser 1356. Red Shed was great enough to mail me the CND for my trip to the Grande Ronde (awesome fishing) but me and the CND did not hit it off. I had it in my head that I was going to get a blank from Meiser, I just don't think there is a better buy (at least I couldn't find one). But, at the last minute I found a used Meiser 1356. What a find! It is beautiful! I casted it before I bought it with a SA short 6/7 wt line. My question here is before I buy a line what other lines should I look at? Thanks for any input.
In 6wt we now also have the CND Solstice "greasedliner" 13'4" 6/7 4pc IM8 ($535, a little over your range) in the line-up; which loves the SA 6/7, Rio Midspey 6/7, Windcutter 6/7/8 (tips or floater), Airflo Delta, Wulff 7wt, and Hardy Mach I 8/9wt (not the Plus). I haven't tried Bob's 1356 but hope to soon, to answer your question I think it will like the same range of lines as listed above.

The next logical line choice would be the midspey floater for greaseline work as Rob and Andre suggested to complement your short SA, which would be great for tips if cut and looped ala Brian Simonseth style. If you don't want to cut it, the WC 6/7/8 with tips is the easy way to solve the problem.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Meiser 1356

The Airflo Long Delta 6/7 is great on the 1356. It's my go to line on this rod. Last I heard the multi tip was no longer being produced in 6/7, but Mark Bachman's shop in Welches, Oregon (a forum sponsor) still had some in stock.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I think the Meiser rod is built on Andrson's blank and this blank may be a bit closer to a light 7. I have tried the Anderson rod and it handles the 6/7 xlt very nicely if you want a long belly line. I think the AIRFLO Long Delta 6/7 that Moose suggested is also a super line.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rick J said:
I think the Meiser rod is built on Andrson's blank and this blank may be a bit closer to a light 7. I have tried the Anderson rod and it handles the 6/7 xlt very nicely if you want a long belly line. I think the AIRFLO Long Delta 6/7 that Moose suggested is also a super line.
Rick, close (but if memory serves) not quite a 'Cee-Gar.' Gary Andeson's blanks come from a very well (and respected) rod maker in Southern Washington (not Loomis or Lamiglas to wet your curosity). :lildevl:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hi Fred - seems when I went to Meiser's web site he mentioned that a couple of his rods are built on Anderson's blanks - not sure if it is this one but think so?

Hope you are fishing and having fun - drove by your place a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain on my way to the Umpqua - should have fished your river as I struck out on the Umpqua but still had a great time!

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
I'm liking a Triangle Taper 6/7 (36') joined to WF10F (34'). Around 580 grains over 70' and shoots plenty more, a very nice line.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
fredaevans said:
Rick, close (but if memory serves) not quite a 'Cee-Gar.' Gary Andeson's blanks come from a very well (and respected) rod maker in Southern Washington (not Loomis or Lamiglas to wet your curosity). :lildevl:
Rolled by the best!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts