Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the 6 piece 7wt. travel speyrod offerings? Meiser has one and gaelforce too. How do you guys like these compared to the typical 4 piece speys of the same builder? I really like the travel sizes and I'm more likely to take a speyrod where ever I go if convenient.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I've converted much of my rod inventory to 6pc. If you're a traveling angler, can't beat the convenience and I see no effect on performance. Makers have made great strides in multi-piece rods, and you sell more and more being offered.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have four Gaelforce Destination 6 piece rods - 15-1, 13-9, 12-9, and 11-9. They are sweet casting rods with plenty of power and do not require the casting stroke of a Spey-o-Rama competitor. I have not tried many rods, but I do have a Winston B2X 7134 Two-Hander (which I really like), and a few Echo Fiberglass spey rods, which I also really like, for reference. I don't know whether the action is the same as the Gaelforce 4 piece rods, but to me it does not matter. The Destination series casts well, and travels well. All four of my Gaelforce rods will fit in a 36" long Orvis rod case, which (usually) fits in an overhead bin on a larger plane. HTH

Jim

·
Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
136 Posts
I should have mentioned I have an Epic DH 6 piece as well and it is amazing.

Furthermore, I have several 5 piece rods from Meiser and and ACR and they are in the same category. No deficiency in performance.

Cheers.

Bill

·
Registered
Sage, Redington, Hardy, G. Loomis
224 Posts
Sage Sonic 7wt 13'6 - 6 is also a sick rod. If you want classic go for a meiser, something more modern, the Sonic is pretty sick. Super versatile rod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Meiser 6 Pieces STM113136 78CX, it comes with two handles, so you will have a 11.3switch rod and a 13.6 Spey rod, it is so convenience for traveling. I love it.
Hood Fish Salmon-like fish Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Meiser 6 Pieces STM113136 78CX, it comes with two handles, so you will have a 11.3switch rod and a 13.6 Spey rod, it is so convenience for traveling. I love it. View attachment 400312
Are both setting in the same line weight and cast the same lines?

I was hoping the switch setting (without a section) would be a lighter weight, but I checked the Meiser website which stated the same.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

I was hoping the switch setting (without a section) would be a lighter weight, but I checked the Meiser website which stated the same.
Crazyryan,

The 11’3” and 13’6” versions of this series would both have similar grain windows as that is their intentional targeted design ...

But ... An 11’3” rod and a 13’6” rod (a difference of two feet) will inherently require head lengths specific to the rod’s length for maximum performance.

Shorter heads for the 11’3” ... Longer heads for the 13’6” ... This is a typical scenario with all two handed fly rods.

But in addition <> The longer 13’6” rod will efficiently deliver a broader diversity of allowed lines in regard to both allowed total grain weights and head lengths ... This too is a typical scenario with all two handed fly rods: Longer rods inherently have broader ranges of delivery potentials.

Meiz

·
Registered
10 Posts
My go to rod on the Muskegon River in Michigan is a Sage One 12"6" 6-piece rod . I wish all my rods were 6-piece, not only for travel, but for fishing as well. All my future rods will be 6-piece.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone comment on the 6 piece 7wt. travel speyrod offerings? Meiser has one and gaelforce too. How do you guys like these compared to the typical 4 piece speys of the same builder? I really like the travel sizes and I'm more likely to take a speyrod where ever I go if convenient.
I have had the same 7wt 6 piece for several years now & it's my go-to rod. Nothing lost vs. the 4 piece. It is also versatile, at least for any line I've put on it. You can't go wrong with that choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, But I saw Bob already answered your question. His answer is official.lol

Sorry for the late reply.but I saw Bob already answered your question,his answer is official.lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts