Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you GL Steelheaders would keep in your box if you could only use 6 patterns? I plan to just keep it simple and only use 6 patterns for the next few months but am willing to tie them in different sizes. These will not be tube flies please although I am going to purchase the tool for my vise to learn to tie them in the future. Any advice you guys could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Kory

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Intruders, big egg succking WB's, dark bodied speys, light bodied speys. I tie the Intruders and Wb's on tubes, and the speys on #3-#1.5 A.J.'s Adding natural grizz hackles as feelers on the tubes and wings on the speys gives them a nice touch.

Spey style flies tied with the red hareline ice dubbing for the body have had a pretty strong showing this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two that Jamie left off the list that I think are very important are the articulated (or string) leech and a rough looking sculpin. By rough looking I mean something with action. I use something similar to Kevin Feenstra's sculpin. Actually, I often carry deveral different sculpin patterns, some that I tie and some that I purchase. They are great flies to use on rivers like the Muskegon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The "Bunny spey" or bunny tube fly has been on of my best producers, although it lacks aome asthetic appeal. Colors include white and purple, black, purple, and purple and pink.

Gillie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys that should give me a good starting point. Just wanted some reliable patterns as I know I will need all the help I can get:chuckle: .

Have a good holiday.

Kory

·
Registered
640 Posts
Pretty close

rabbit strip ESL
rabbit strip sculpin
big ugly sculpin/intruder
parr pattern
white baitfish

size, color and flash vary with visibility

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Dark bodied speys

My list is much like Jameys...but sub sculpins for the "big egg succking WB's". But mostly dark bodied speys. I really like blue too. I have had great sucess with nickel and gold AJ hooks this year(good thing I just got a fresh box of 2062 #3!)I know they help the body material(s) stay their true color(s) when wet.

Most importantly, swing what you have confidence in.
And then swing it some more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jamey McLeod said:
I left those off the list because I don't pack the equipment needed to cast them (skagit).
To be honest with you Jamey, I find intruders even tougher to cast than most of the ariculated leeches and/ or sculpins. Although I own a Skagit line, I've yet to use it. I get by with all those patterns using Guideline Power Taper Scandinavian heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts