Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you GL Steelheaders would keep in your box if you could only use 6 patterns? I plan to just keep it simple and only use 6 patterns for the next few months but am willing to tie them in different sizes. These will not be tube flies please although I am going to purchase the tool for my vise to learn to tie them in the future. Any advice you guys could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Kory

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Intruders, big egg succking WB's, dark bodied speys, light bodied speys. I tie the Intruders and Wb's on tubes, and the speys on #3-#1.5 A.J.'s Adding natural grizz hackles as feelers on the tubes and wings on the speys gives them a nice touch.

Spey style flies tied with the red hareline ice dubbing for the body have had a pretty strong showing this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two that Jamie left off the list that I think are very important are the articulated (or string) leech and a rough looking sculpin. By rough looking I mean something with action. I use something similar to Kevin Feenstra's sculpin. Actually, I often carry deveral different sculpin patterns, some that I tie and some that I purchase. They are great flies to use on rivers like the Muskegon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys that should give me a good starting point. Just wanted some reliable patterns as I know I will need all the help I can get:chuckle: .

Have a good holiday.

Kory

·
Waiting for the grab...
341 Posts
Dark bodied speys

My list is much like Jameys...but sub sculpins for the "big egg succking WB's". But mostly dark bodied speys. I really like blue too. I have had great sucess with nickel and gold AJ hooks this year(good thing I just got a fresh box of 2062 #3!)I know they help the body material(s) stay their true color(s) when wet.

Most importantly, swing what you have confidence in.
And then swing it some more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jamey McLeod said:
I left those off the list because I don't pack the equipment needed to cast them (skagit).
To be honest with you Jamey, I find intruders even tougher to cast than most of the ariculated leeches and/ or sculpins. Although I own a Skagit line, I've yet to use it. I get by with all those patterns using Guideline Power Taper Scandinavian heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.