Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 11' 7 weight T&T rod last spring to learn to spey cast on Maine and Labrador rivers for trout and landlocked salmon. I'm not yet much of a spey caster but I did learn that, although I liked the T&T rod, it was a little too heavy handed for some of the close range dry fly fishing I wanted to do. This spring I purchased a 12' 6/7 weight Winston that, hopefully, will be more forgiving on close range casting while still powerful enough to throw streamers for some distance (we're talking smaller eastern rivers here).

Now my question. What lines would folks recommend that I try with the Winston given my casting requirements? I never bought any specialized lines for the T&T. I just used 7 weight lines I had for my single handed rods. I'd like to get a bit more sophisticated with lines for the Winston (and hopefully improve my casting).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rookie Rec.

There has been much discussion on the board re: lines for specific rods, and from what I gather, as a rookie you can't go wrong starting with a Rio Spey Line. The Windcutter with interchangeable tips gives you verstatlity and is a good place to start. Check out the Rio website. I'm sure that other suggestions will follow.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would second the Windcutter especially if you are most interested in close in casting stuff. An excellent alternative is the Airflo Delta lines - essentially equivalent to the Rio Windcutter. I just recently started casting the Airflos and am truly impressed - this line also is avaliable as a multi-tip line

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hey Alonzo, Have you finally managed to build a time machine and if so are you stuck in 2002 ;), If you are i will get the Delorean out and be on my way to pick you up:smokin:

·
Banned
894 Posts
Love the Airflo lines, not very good luck with the Rio lines. Good luck in your search! Got the airflo 40+, great on the single hander but not great 2 handed

·
Registered
869 Posts
for overhead casting with that T&T 1107 you may want to try a 9 wt single hand line. that rod is not grain rated as a SH 7wt. the 40+ is a good choice or if you want more beefy turnover try an Airflo bass/musky line or Rio powerfly. the 40+ will do the best job of spey casting along with overhead. the powerfly types will not spey cast as well but work great for overhead, in close work and will turn over bushy dries and nymph rigs really well. the Airflo Nymph line (impact) also works well for that if you want something a little less aggressive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts