Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. My friends have insisted on buying me a spey rod for my 50th birthday. I'm looking for a 13 1/2 foot 7/8 or 8/9 with a fairly substantial tip -- I prefer a relaxed casting style and lean toward traditional but not noodly rods. Currently I fish a Lamiglass 13 1/2-foot 8/9 which I like, but maybe there's something a little lighter or better out there? Have been out of the loop for a time and not cast many of the newer sticks. Thanks for your help and let's hope for plenty of water and good ocean conditions for the season to come. Yours truly. Keith.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
birthday

Thanks Tyler, Thanks Bill. Both rods sound great, but there's a pretty big difference in price. Is the Burkheimer worth a few hundred more bucks? Will it feel substantially heavier in the hand? Will the difference in mending ability once the line is on the water tip the scales? Any comments -- I may never get the chance to buy another spey rod so I want to make sure. Also, I've heard some questionable reports on service and repair from Burkheimer. Thanks again, Keith.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
50th Birthday

Thanks Sparse, and thanks to all who have so freely given of your time and suggestions. I checked out the Burkheimer website which does not include the 1398. It must be a relatively new model. I'd like to get it, though, sad to say, the price may be a factor. Has anyone built a Burkheimer from the blank? -- it's something I might consider, though I suppose it voids the warranty. Anyway thanks again and also for the line recommendations. I also welcome any additional comments about lines, Polytips, etc. Keith.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.