Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. My friends have insisted on buying me a spey rod for my 50th birthday. I'm looking for a 13 1/2 foot 7/8 or 8/9 with a fairly substantial tip -- I prefer a relaxed casting style and lean toward traditional but not noodly rods. Currently I fish a Lamiglass 13 1/2-foot 8/9 which I like, but maybe there's something a little lighter or better out there? Have been out of the loop for a time and not cast many of the newer sticks. Thanks for your help and let's hope for plenty of water and good ocean conditions for the season to come. Yours truly. Keith.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Keith,

You might want to consider looking at the CND rods. The relaxed traditional action you are looking for is what these rods are all about. I would think you would be interested in the quite traditional Expert or slightly quicker Custom Series in the 7/8 or 8/9.

You can check out the CND web-site at www.cndspey.com

·
Registered
916 Posts
Keith
You may also want to consider the Burkheimer 1398. It fits your description perfectly except that at 13' 9" it's 3" longer. Very smooth casting rod with a wonderful tip. My normal line is a SA XLT 8/9. Handles it beautifully.
Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
birthday

Thanks Tyler, Thanks Bill. Both rods sound great, but there's a pretty big difference in price. Is the Burkheimer worth a few hundred more bucks? Will it feel substantially heavier in the hand? Will the difference in mending ability once the line is on the water tip the scales? Any comments -- I may never get the chance to buy another spey rod so I want to make sure. Also, I've heard some questionable reports on service and repair from Burkheimer. Thanks again, Keith.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Keith, my .02 cents here only.

The CND expert series of rods are rather well done, at a very good price point. However, having said that, the Burkie rod mentioned above is the 'standard' against which I judge all other spey rods. I also line mine with the 8/9 SA XLT. From 'antidodal (sp?) evidence' I think this was the rod (rated as an 8-9-10) that was the "test bed" for the design of the 8/9 xlt line.

This is the rod of the Gods! Short of fishing for Rogue Kings, I never leave home without this rod in the car.
fae

·
Registered
916 Posts
Keith
I can't comment on the CDNs. I had hoped to cast them last month, but the first Eastern mini-clave was cancelled because of weather. They do, in fact, sound very interesting and am looking forward to trying them. I can say that the Burkheimer is light in the hand. Mends beautifully.

I also have the Burk 1338, which is really more of a 7 weight. It's very nice, but I really prefer the 1398. In my opinion, a much more complete rod — very light, powerful and versatile.

Perhaps Tyler has cast both rods.

Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re Burkheimer service...

Burkheimer upstaffed at the beginning of the this year specifically to improve service. It is my understanding that the goal is a one-week turnaround for all service. So, the turnaround should be much improved, and the service should not be an important factor in your decision.

--Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
50th Birthday

Thanks Sparse, and thanks to all who have so freely given of your time and suggestions. I checked out the Burkheimer website which does not include the 1398. It must be a relatively new model. I'd like to get it, though, sad to say, the price may be a factor. Has anyone built a Burkheimer from the blank? -- it's something I might consider, though I suppose it voids the warranty. Anyway thanks again and also for the line recommendations. I also welcome any additional comments about lines, Polytips, etc. Keith.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Bill,

I have in fact cast both rods, albeit I've only cast the Burkheimer briefly at one of the Carnation Claves - not enough to fairly comment. However, I don't think it a suprise, after all that's been said about the Burkies in general, that this one would also be a superb rod.

As for the CND, of course I have a vested interest, but I have cast a rather large number of rods over the past few years and the Custom CND's take a back seat to none. When you consider the price point they are hard to argue with.

Keith, as always with buying a speyrod, the recommended drill is to cast rods, as you say, it is a significant investment and you shold try to test drive before you buy! Who knows which rod will "feel right" - and there is only one way to find out...

Of course, being in Montana - that may be easier said than done, good luck. :smokin:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I would look at the CND's or the Loop Black or Yellow series. They are both very nice rods with a more traditional action. And they are both much less expensive than the Burkheimer. And I have a preference for the CND over the Loop Black or Yellow. There is also the Winston Traditional 13 ft 8/9 Spey. This is a friends favorite summer run rod, it is slower than the CND and about the same quickness as your Lamiglas.

I like decidedly fast rods for my own use and as such I much prefer the Loomis 13 ft GLX (which I own) and the T&T 1307 (6/7 wt) or T&T 1309 (8/9 wt) are my favorites in this length and line weight. However, they may be faster than what you are looking for.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Birthday Suggestions

Keith, Where in Montana are you located?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rod

I like you have been looking for this same type of rod in the same weight category. I tried the Burkheimer 8133 and the CND Custom 7/8 and 8/9. While all of these rods are fine rods I have decided on the CND Custom 7/8. It is unbelievably light and responsive. It has a great feel and once you get the feel for this rod it is extremely easy to cast with or without sink tips. And at half the price you just cant go wrong here with these rods. Just my .02 on the situation. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts