Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lee B
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build some 15 foot spey leaders using 50# Maxima Chameleon as the butt section. Lots of shops carry up to 40#, but I can't find 50#. Any ideas where to find this?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Angler Sport Group of Elba, NY is a US distributor for Maxima. They should be able to tell you if it's available and where. 585-757-9958

·
JD
3,641 Posts
I found it once

But it seems to me it only came on large spools. Not the 25 or 30 yard tippet spools that we would like. Since it would take a couple of life times to use up a couple hundred yards of that stuff, I forgot about it.

If you find it in smaller quanities, let us know.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Wondering

Just wondering what kind of fly line you are joining it to?

For my $$ the stiffness of the mono needs to match the stiffness of the end of the flyline at the attachment point. I used to just use 40# as everyone said that was the way to go. After doing some testing, the slinky test, with the tips of the flyline I found most were better suited to 25# or 20# butt sections on line weight 7/8 to 9/10.

On bigger Power Tapers or SCIERRA Shooting heads I will use 30 or 40# when it matches the tip end but even on those big lines it is not all that often.

On all my Commercial Leaders I use Maxima 25# or 20#

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
speyman is on the mark, the stiff heavy stuff can make a long leader stand up instead of unfurl. 25# works for me

·
Lee B
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matching line tip

Good advice - thanks. I'm plannig to use these leaders on a Windcutter 10/11/12 Floating line, for fishing both large dries and wet flies.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Why?

Would you want to use 50# Maxima? The line and leader but should have similar resistance to bending to get good energy transfer. I think you would be building in a hinge by using 50#.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
I agree

t_richerzhagen said:
Would you want to use 50# Maxima? The line and leader but should have similar resistance to bending to get good energy transfer. I think you would be building in a hinge by using 50#.
I found that to be true years ago when I tried 30lb hard Mason as a butt section to turn over deer hair bass bugs. It's just too much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stiff butt?

Additionally, if you consider the dynamics of creating a "pointy" D-loop, the heavy stuff if moving your line leader capabilities in the wrong direction.
I fell to the same theory for decades....' no mas.'

"Tight loops"

= )

·
JD
3,641 Posts
wet flies

Lee B said:
Good advice - thanks. I'm plannig to use these leaders on a Windcutter 10/11/12 Floating line, for fishing both large dries and wet flies.
The thicker dia stuff doesn't sink as well as the thiner stuff. Some people just use striaght 12 or 15lb Maxima clear for wet fly work. It may not transfer energy quite as well as a tapered leader, but it offers less resistance to the fly as it sinks. Keep in mind that for the fly to sink, it has to pull the leader down with it.:saeek:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another vote for Maxima MAIN LINE vs. the leader material. For rods 9 and up my butt sections will be 30# MAIN LINE. Below this I'll drop to the 20# and even down to 15 with lighter 'switch rods.'

Maxima main line has the proper stiffness you want, where (imho) the actual tippet material leaves a lot to be desired (for butt sections only).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i liked the 40 camaleione'

myself,,using a double `bug:lildevl: ' setup,the heavy `otis' stonefly imitations used here for a `sinker' mid leader,,but i'll use all max. green with a 30 or a 25 butt,,i still `like' the 40 for a butt tho'(cast a vote for me);)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts