Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to cast the Sage at the Sandy Clave and was darned impressed by this little rod. Thing that really caught my attention is their 6wt spey did zip for me. The 5wt would be a wizzer rod for working the Holy Waters on the top end of the Rogue.

But the Sage is 'pricie' as all heck; anyone else make a 5wt spey?
fae

M

·
0 Posts
Fred,

Changing the subject (sorry) but working the light spey rod thread, have you tried the CND Expert 6/7?

I, too, am looking for that light-line spey rod for fishing the known hatchery runs where a good steelheader should "bonk" anyway.

mmm

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have and thought is was a great light rod.

But when you've got two 7136's, and an 11' 3" 6/7 for me it would have been redundent. This rod loads all the way into the handle was fun to cast at the 'Clave.
fae

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Apparently you guys didn't try the new Burkheimer the 7135... I cast the Sage 5 and it was pretty good and I also cast an older (brown) Sage6wt which I felt was a great rod!! I think the 5wt might be ok for certain niche fisheries but the thing that concerns me is that people will use them where they are not appropriate because they are so nice to castand will end up stressing a lot of fish maybe even killing some.

Sorry Fred I got off topic too.. I don't know of anyone else making a 5wt... I would guess that if sales on the Sage go well everyone will start making them. At least thats what we have seen so far with spey rod marketing.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Redundent???

Fred, Since when has being redundent in the spey rod department ever been a problem for you before?:hehe:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sigh .... since "The RedHead" started handing me the

Quicken reports darned near monthly. No comment(s) on her part but the total in 'red' on the bottom was getting farther down the sheet and expodentially larger.
:whoa:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Red Ink???

Fred, I would think a banker with your expertise would be able to make those quicken reports magically disappear or at the very least show that there were only a few debits under your name with a lot of room for more charges.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sign ... MJC, I can tell you've never had a

"long term relationship" with a Redhead. They are a 'group' unto themselves. And, no, you may not ask.:devil:

fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Reality Therapy

Fred,
It is called "reality therapy." That is a part of marriage.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
MJYP,

I think we are talking apples and oranges between the Sage and the T&T rods you mentioned. The Sage is a large trout rod period. I cringe everytime I read about guys wanting to use it for summer steelhead. Will it land them? Yes BUT at what price to the fish. Let me be clear though, I like the rod and unless CND or T&T come out with a similar 5 weight, I will most likely end up with one for Deschutes river redsides.

The T&T rods I believe to be more summer run steelhead rods although the six might double for larger trout.

sinktip

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete, interesting you should bring the Red 11'3" rod up.

"Redington makes an 11'3" 6/7 in a single hander that a local shop is having made over as a two hander."

I have Bob Meiser doing just exactly that to mine now. Great light weight single hand rod that I 'spey cast' with a lot. With an extended butt for the lower hand it should be even a better light steelhead rod or one for use on the Rogue Holy Water.
fae

·
Registered
3 Posts
5120-4

Hello All,
I have fished that rod extensively. While I agree that the rod is not good for "large steelhead", I also know when and where I am likely to hook the aforementioned beasts. When fishing for half-pounders, the 5120 is a treat to fish. I have used it on many summer run waters and have had no problem with some "larger" fish. I think that somebody should start a thread on How To Fight and Land Steelhead. I am not the one to do it as I really don't think I can express it in type as well as in person, you know, the hand gestures and all.
So, while I would not recommend the rod for big water and big fish, I think the rod has a place. Since we always seem to be talking about specific rods for specific fisheries, then this rod should be in your quiver. Should it be your first rod for all-around steelheading...absolutely not.
Thanks,
e

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I think that somebody should start a thread on How To Fight and Land Steelhead
If you do a search through the archives I think you will find this topic has been discussed a few times in the past.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How to fight a steelhead:

8lb maxima for typical summer runs I am sorry 0x Umpqua, climax etc. though it is "14lb". does not cut it. Want to be kind to the fish Use MAXIMA!
winter and large steelead 15lb maxima

Fighting the fish.. ever second that the fish is not running you need to be putting as much pressure on the fish as the tippet can hold. When fish do run they need to be running against some drag sometimes a fair amount of drag. I guess what I am saying is that ya don't just reel them in when they are ready, YOU make them come in when you want them in! 5 minutes is a VERY LONG TIME toi fight a summer steelhead 10 minutes is a long time for larger winter runs and 30 minutes is too long for any steelhead anywhere no matter the circumstances..
If your equipment will do that your fine if not and you claim to care about the resource, beef it up...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the T&T 6wt 10' rod which I use for brookies and landlocks. It's a great little rod for single handed overhead casting but I have yet to find a line that works on a spey cast.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
spey line for single hand rods

you need a long belly line do be able to do Spey casts with a single hand rod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts