Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im trying to add another DH rod to my trout arsenal. I have a sage 4116. I will be using the rod primarily on the Missouri river near Craig MT. Looking at getting either a 5 or 6 wt 12'6" ( maybe a 11'6") to use when its windy or for throwing big streamers/wets. Would a 6 wt be over kill for trout???
thanks for your advice in advance

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Yes would b my guess

Try the TFO DC 4/5 or the Meiser version which is what the TFO. Is based off of. It's wonderful. When you get over 300 grains for trout, even big trout, it's not much fun . . . For them or you :)

This is my favorite Rod. It can haul a cast on a 275 grain out to 80+ feet with a dry fly. It handles heavy cone heads fine too when required.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use a 12' 6" 6 wt for steelhead. It's too much for trout.

For trout spey's I have and use 12' 6" 3/4/5 Meiser C and an ACR 11' 7" 3 wt. The Meiser, IMHO, is a really strong rod and I've handled smaller steelhead on it as well as trout. Truthfully this rod sometimes is too much for trout and half pounders. I use a 293 gr SGS scandi head and poly leaders/mono leaders.

The ACR is much more of a trout spey. Trout and half pounders are great fun on it. Casting in the wind can be tricky but I do it regularly. I've never hooked a steelhead on this rod. I'm not sure how that will work out but I'm eager to find out. I use a 255 gr SGS head which is heavy for this rod.

I would suggest talking with Meiser, Godshall and Anderson about trout speys. Gary and Bob make some great trout spey but their rods have a very different character. Both are good in their own unique way. I will never part with either of these rods.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
So Im trying to add another DH rod to my trout arsenal. I have a sage 4116. Would a 6 wt be over kill for trout??
not at all ! in fact, i use my old style burkie 7127 (basically a 6) w/ 390 scandi or rio 430gr shorthead chopped for tips most anytime i'm throwing streamers there. in 40+ degree water, most of those big fish will bend the rod to the cork and take line. a stronger rod will handle heavier flies, be better in the wind, shortens the fight time, and makes hand landing sooo much easier. a very good thing for the fish. you already have yer small fly/ calm day rod. who cares how a 15" fish bends the rod with so many big fish around :) btw, the new 6128 burkie was designed around exactly that scenario. same price point as a ONE, w better cork and fit/finish. they also sell blanks. as soon as they build a 6139 i'll fish it there too :)

i use the same rod for small steelhead, most people cant comprehend a fishery w/ trout of that caliber.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Big fish, Big water, Big cast, Big flies, Big WIND ..etc..

Not all 6wts are equal, a lot of variation.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Opinions vary and so do rods. I'm in the up to 5 weight trout spey camp...with some exceptions.

My go to light trout speys are the Anderson 11'7" 3 and 4 weights. If needing more umph for size of offerings or wind issues an 11'5" Burkie with a grain window from 330 to 410+ can handle any trout that I run into... including some smaller steelhead. However I have added a 12'6" 6 wt for mid-bellies, less stripping in cold windy weather.

G

·
Man, the Missouri is a big river with lots of options, even if based in Craig. For most uses a 4-5 weight switch is probably adequate. However, if you have a way of fishing right below Hauser dam (not Holter) then deep streamer fishing is a whole different game. Many locals use an eight weight SH there and use a Teeny 200gr to fish streamers like Kelly's sex dungeon and barely legal. Thirty years ago I think it was Gary LaFontaine who wrote an article about being so frustrated with the big fish right below the dam that he brought his twelve weight along and said he wasn't the first to do so. When I fish there I use a SH 8 so that would mean a 6 or 6/7 weight switch wouldn't be out of line at all. The biggest rainbow I've seen landed there was 27.5" but I know they get bigger. That's approaching steelhead size. Between the current, the wind, the size of the fish, and the size of the fly you're throwing, an 8 weight single or an equivalent switch is not out of line at all.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Man, the Missouri is a big river with lots of options, even if based in Craig. For most uses a 4-5 weight switch is probably adequate. However, if you have a way of fishing right below Hauser dam (not Holter) then deep streamer fishing is a whole different game. Many locals use an eight weight SH there and use a Teeny 200gr to fish streamers like Kelly's sex dungeon and barely legal. Thirty years ago I think it was Gary LaFontaine who wrote an article about being so frustrated with the big fish right below the dam that he brought his twelve weight along and said he wasn't the first to do so. When I fish there I use a SH 8 so that would mean a 6 or 6/7 weight switch wouldn't be out of line at all. The biggest rainbow I've seen landed there was 27.5" but I know they get bigger. That's approaching steelhead size. Between the current, the wind, the size of the fish, and the size of the fly you're throwing, an 8 weight single or an equivalent switch is not out of line at all.
Wow, great point and example. Now I'm totally and utterly jealous. So if I wasn't hard up enough to get out that way as it is, I'm frothing at the mouth. I'm waiting for my daughter to turn of age (7-10) before hauling her out west.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Winston BIIITH 6110 is fine for trout and half pounders but, it also feels more like a 5 than a 6 wt. On the other hand the BIIX 6126 would be overkill and it feels like a 7 wt.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
I have 2 -5/6 12 ft. 6" TFO Deer creek rods. One with a 360 scandi versa tip and one with a 420 skagit with tips. The rod feels like it has a soft top end which makes it bend really well with small trout but has enough jam to toss 70 to 80 ft of line, plus leader,easily, off the shore. Standing in the water so that you can get a better set up will allow for more distance. Wet tips 8 to 10 ft of leader with bigger flies and approx. 15 ft of leader with smaller flies. I love it. I fish the upper Columbia. I figure it is a an excellent trout rod.
Bjay

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
anything over a 4wt is overkill for trout. i fish a 12'9 6wt as my primary steelhead kit. I will fish my 11'7 4wt to them as well. I can cast huge flies on the 11'7 4wt, couldn't imagine wanting more for trout??? But then again, I fish to 20 inch trout with my trusty 0wt and a silk line and have stepped up to double figure fish with a 2wt in hand. To each their own, certain conditions can demand a bit more, so as always, it depends.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would agree a 5-6 is overkill for trout , my 2hand trouters are a 2 & 4 wt. if you are stuck on getting a 5-6 ,give Gary a call and ask him about his ACR 1255. This rod will punch it through the wind, cast big bugs on tips and yet still has a light enough tip to have fun with 15" trout. For grains on this 5wt. a 340gr. Scandi and 360gr. Skagit will get things done.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"anything over a 4wt is overkill for trout"

huh? obviously depends on where you're fishing and how heavy a fly and tip you're trying to deliver.

My go-to for trout on the Y-Stone is a 7110 with 425gr Skagit short...I'm usually swinging heavy sculpin patterns deep, in WINDY conditions, fairly long casts, and I'm trying to catch the biggest brown in the river...a lighter rod just isn't gonna cut it...

The OP wants to fish big stuff on the Missouri...big river, and it can be a real wind tunnel there...a 2-4wt isn't going to do the job....

·
Registered
945 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Lot's of recommendations for smaller rod wt's for "trout", but when you ask the same question for summer steelhead most would say 6/7wt even though a steelhead is also just a rainbow "trout". If you are targeting, or tie into a fair number of incidental steelhead size trout you should probably use a rod appropriate for that size fish whether it has been to the ocean or not.

We sometimes fish a place with "trout" that can hit 10lb or more so why would I use a rod that I would not consider using for steelhead on these fish because they are merely "trout"? These are all catch-and-release fish so, while I may be able to land one on a 5/6 wt single hand rod by the time I get it landed I will be risking the survival of that fish. Just because it swam out of my hand on release does not mean it will survive. For me it's summer steelhead gear on this fishery. My .07 cents

CT

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
I would hate to be under gunned. And the Mo fishes just fine when it's windy as heck. Those fish are chunky and scrappy. When it's nice out throw the feather stick you already have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
...depends on where you're fishing and how heavy a fly and tip you're trying to deliver.
What he said.

There's a wind-swept river not far from me that I hit, and it's wide and the fish are pigs, and pretty feral for the most part. It reminds me of the Mo. I fish a 5/6 because my 4wts peter out with the wind and what size flies I prefer to toss. Guys with SHs are showing up to the party with 7 and 8wts. I get done what I need to with 375-400gr skagits, but that's me, and where/how I fish. If I hit my local I'm right at home with a 4wt.

Sometimes feels like we're on different planets. Naturally, I'd wanna be on the one that I would need the 5/6 for...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all for the info- I did go ahead and get a 5wt- 12'6'rod blank. Will hopefully get it built up within a month- will try to post pictures when done. Has been a lot of good info posted
BF

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Cool, Show us the rod when its done, eager to check it out!

Lots of opinions, all of us right... I get things done on light gear, believing that I am only limited in landing fish by my tippets strength, my reel, and my ability, not my rod. Some guys prefer heavy gear, for that "just in case" moment. So as usual, user's choice.

I hope the rod brings you enjoyment. I hope you hook and land many steelhead sized trout.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Spey

Brian a 5 will be fine depending on the action and what flies u toss, What blank did you go with?. I like a traditional taper, it allows me to load it up with a doctor'd up scandi for tips and switch to a Vector for dries and soft hackles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will be fine with a 5wt. I throw normal sized streamers all day with my 5wt switch rod. The only time you will get in trouble if you try to throw those 6" double articulated wind resistant flies 60 ft on a sink tip. It will, however, throw them a little ways :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts