Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fished egg patterns maybe 2-3 times. For several reasons, they didn't sit well with me. Still, at certain times of the year they are the fly of choice for many.

This is a #4 hook manually shaped down to a #5. The iron is precisely 1 inch long. My intention was to bring the focal point as close as I could to the hook point without compromising it's ability to swim and/or drift.

The Jungle Cock eye (yolk) is proportionally and intentionally larger than usual. It's nestles into a calico background with a broad dark swatch of winging material directly behind it to provide contrast and punctuation. This wing is Reeves Pheasant, but Amherst and Florican Bustard come to mind as excellent alternatives.

I suspect that this design would be a good for Brookies, Browns, Salmon, and Steelhead.

What's your thoughts?

dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I know I've mentioned it many times before, but to say it again is my way of showing excitement with each pattern you create: the thought behind your builds are one of a kind.

Superb fly. I chuckle at Soren's comment on the bacon strips.

Well done, an "egg" pattern has never looked as classy...

Adrian

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Søren - you beat me to it. As soon as I saw that, I was thinking "everything goes better with bacon!" Spot on!

Now, a small offering with toasted wings to go with the eggs and bacon , and you're good to go!

bon appétit! ;)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
wow

I have had too stop and look given the amount of subtle detail you added, especially at the head. like to see details - closeup, maybe I can learn (want too).

Very well conceived and executed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Top shelf as always Dave. I draw great inspiration from your work

Rocky

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm with Rocky on this Dave. I really admire how you approach your tying, and am greatfull that you share your thought process with us. I like it, I think this would fish for a good number of different species.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had too stop and look given the amount of subtle detail you added, especially at the head. like to see details - closeup, maybe I can learn (want too).

Very well conceived and executed.
Thank you all !! I'm considering putting together a 2016 Calendar with more details and hi-Rez pictures. In the meantime feel free to PM me to answer any questions or provide you with a larger image

dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts