Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be interested in a 13’ five or six weight rod to use on the Rogue and Klamath for summer steelhead and half pounders. Any thoughts on the Meiser CX 13’ 4/5/6 or the Beulah Onyx 13’1” 6 weight? Also welcome any other suggestions in the 13’ range. I have light rods in the 12’6” and under range, but was thinking of a lighter rod in the 13’ range to cover a little more water….
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anderson Custom Rods makes a 13' 5 weight affectionately coined the "Rogue Rocket". To my taste it is as sweet as anything out there with a 330-350 grain Scandi. ACR also makes a 13' 6 weight that feels perfect to me with a 360 grain Scandi. Either would be a beautiful choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently purchased a Meiser 13’ 4/5 MKX. It’s more of a five weight than a four, and would be perfect for smaller steelhead and half-pounders. Been using a Rio 330 grain scandi at 31’ and a Godshall intermediate scandoid that’s 369 grains at 26’. This is my first MKX rod and I’m really impressed (as are many other board members). Just a joy to cast, with plenty of power when you need it. Definitely worth putting on your short list.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you cast or consider the 13’ 4/5/6 CX versus the MKX you purchased? Just curious as to the difference between the two rods for summer steelhead.

·
no expectations
138 Posts
I recently purchased a Meiser 13’ 4/5 MKX. It’s more of a five weight than a four, and would be perfect for smaller steelhead and half-pounders. Been using a Rio 330 grain scandi at 31’ and a Godshall intermediate scandoid that’s 369 grains at 26’. This is my first MKX rod and I’m really impressed (as are many other board members). Just a joy to cast, with plenty of power when you need it. Definitely worth putting on your short list.
Best of luck.
Heed the advice from @PatrickM. In my opinion, this is maybe the premier stick in the Meiser lineup. And it is most definitely in the 5 weight spectrum.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Anderson Custom Rods makes a 13' 5 weight affectionately coined the "Rogue Rocket". To my taste it is as sweet as anything out there with a 330-350 grain Scandi. ACR also makes a 13' 6 weight that feels perfect to me with a 360 grain Scandi. Either would be a beautiful choice.
Hard to beat an ACR for a summer stick! Really enjoy my 1275 ELT with a 330 scandi. For that matter I love all my ACR’s from my 1172 to 1328!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the feedback on the Meiser and ACR rods. I’ll definitely have both on my short list. I have not cast any ACR rods, but know the excellent regard people have for these rods. I own a couple of Meiser CX rods in heavier weights, so have some familiarity with them. I would be curious on thoughts anyone might have who have casted both ACR and Meiser rods in the the range I am looking at, or anyone who tried both the MKX and CX versions in the 4/5/6 range and the difference between the two blanks.

·
Arthurs Seat
Hardy,Sharpes, Saracione ,Zwarg ,Carron.
334 Posts
I would give glass some consideration for a summer stick on smaller rivers.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
I have a 13’ 3/4/5 HC (not X) and a 13’ 5/6 MKX. I think both of those (personally I’d go for a 4/5/6 on the trinity) and the Onyx are all near perfect rods for the Trinity/Klamath/Rogue. At the risk of telling you what you already know, the Highlander style tapers have more traditional progressive tapers, similar to the Onyx, and some of the more soulful burkies, and the MK tapers have the unique (at least in modern times) “hinging” action with the stiffest tip you will likely ever find for each given wt, and a rear part that stops tapering or even regresses. It certainly has a regressed butt taper RELATIVE to anything anyone is used to these days. But as someone once said “you can not be told what the Matrix is - you have to experience it for yourself”. I think maybe take a short drive down to the shop and arrange for a side-by-side with some demos.

I have a few ACR rods, and have test cast a few more. They are progressive, but slightly faster than the meiser HCs I have, and very much like the crisper end of the burkie range of actions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 13’ 3/4/5 HC (not X) and a 13’ 5/6 MKX. I think both of those (personally I’d go for a 4/5/6 on the trinity) and the Onyx are all near perfect rods for the Trinity/Klamath/Rogue. At the risk of telling you what you already know, the Highlander style tapers have more traditional progressive tapers, similar to the Onyx, and some of the more soulful burkies, and the MK tapers have the unique (at least in modern times) “hinging” action with the stiffest tip you will likely ever find for each given wt, and a rear part that stops tapering or even regresses. It certainly has a regressed butt taper RELATIVE to anything anyone is used to these days. But as someone once said “you can not be told what the Matrix is - you have to experience it for yourself”. I think maybe take a short drive done to the shop and arrange for a side-by-side with some demos.

I have a few ACR rods, and have test cast a few more. They are progressive, but slightly faster than the meiser HCs I have, and very much like the crisper end of the burkie range of actions.
Which of the tapers do you think might perform better in the wind? I would think the faster tapers might be beneficial in windy conditions, but possibly not. We’re you using the 13’ 5/6 MKX this week?

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Which of the tapers do you think might perform better in the wind? I would think the faster tapers might be beneficial in windy conditions, but possibly not. We’re you using the 13’ 5/6 MKX this week?
I’d say it’s more the line in the wind, and then the rod you like best. I don’t think the rod per se matters too much. I think I like the 5/6 MKX best of all, so I gave my other rods some love and never used it. Same thing happened this year shad fishing - I only ended up using it on one run. I think I may have everything ass-backward. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’d say it’s more the line in the wind, and then the rod you like best. I don’t think the rod per se matters too much. I think I like the 5/6 MKX best of all, so I gave my other rods some love and never used it. Same thing happened this year shad fishing - I only ended up using it on one run. I think I may have everything ass-backward. :)
As you know, I haven’t really cast the MKX rods at all, but I will go by the shop and see if I can try one. Everyone seems to love that 5/6 so I should give it a try. The other option is you could come up and we can fish a few days and I can try yours. Not sure why I didn’t think of it this past week (😂)!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I have the 5 wt. RB Meiser S2H13046CX-4, I pair it with Hardy Olympic Bouglé 3 3/4. I ordered a set of lines from Steve G. Hes a good dude to talk lines with. Here are the lines he set me up with. Meiser BC iScandi 27.1' 347 grn, SGS Meiser "BC" Scandi 31.2' 366 grn. SGS, Scandi 33.1' 356 grn, SGS Skagit 22.1' 386 grn
SGS Meiser 4IPS 23.6' 359 grn. All of these heads pair with the rod nicely. I ordered the various lines to cover me in a variety of situations fishing the American and Feather Rivers (my home waters) in Nor Cal. I had Meiz do a custom Sacramento Kings colour scheme. I target steelhead and stripers on the swing with the rod. Steelhead we have are probably smaller than what you find up North and the stripes are schoolie size. The rod is light in hand, yet robust when fighting fish (reserve power) to land a fish. I feel like the rod is more of a light 6 wt than a 5 wt. I also have the 5 wt Winston MS and 5 wt Burkie 125, and I would rate the rod heavier than both of those rods. (Maybe cause its longer, and is more progressive??) Its a versatile rod. I like the length, since there can be somewhat wide stretches I need to cover. It does have more flex and progressive than both the above mentioned rods. Junk in the trunk. Overall its a nice rod, it has a different character than the Burkie, in that the Burkie feels like heaven with a Scandi line, though I did fish an Airflo Scout Skagit head with it for Shad this past year (🤫) .... and the Winston is a nice small water rod (to me) since its shorter. On the Meiz 13' 5wt, I feel I can do it all and not be short handed. I wouldnt hesitate to buy it again or in other words no regrets on it. Got the fish in the attached pic on the lower A. it was a wide section of water, had to wade deep and cast past the frog water to the run, and bamm, this fish took my mini intruder and ran with it. Fun fight. Note that reel on it is the 3.5 Bougle since the 3 3/4 Olympic was a couple years out. With all that said, this rod would definitely be one of my rods in my quiver next time I head to the Rogue or Klamath for sure. I even remember Meiz spoke on this rod for those Rivers when I ordered the rod. Let me know if you have any questions. 🤙🏽
Seafood Fish Wood Marine biology Salmon-like fish

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
973 Posts
Hi John …… i have been fishing The Rogue the last two days with my 11’ 6” 5/6 cane two hander and couldn't imagine going longer than 11’6” - 12’ on that river. If you are looking for a Meiser stick, may I suggest his 11’ 7” for a 3/4/5 or 4/5/6. Both fantastic sticks and if I were throwing graphite ….. thats what I would grab. I used to own that rod in a 5/6/7 and i own the 12’ 6” in the 3/4/5. All tho the 5/6/7 would be a little stronger than you would want, that size stick would be an Awesome rod for the Rogue and the 1/2 pounders. Dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John …… i have been fishing The Rogue the last two days with my 11’ 6” 5/6 cane two hander and couldn't imagine going longer than 11’6” - 12’ on that river. If you are looking for a Meiser stick, may I suggest his 11’ 7” for a 3/4/5 or 4/5/6. Both fantastic sticks and if I were throwing graphite ….. thats what I would grab. I used to own that rod in a 5/6/7 and i own the 12’ 6” in the 3/4/5. All tho the 5/6/7 would be a little stronger than you would want, that size stick would be an Awesome rod for the Rogue and the 1/2 pounders. Dave
Thanks Dave. What lines and grain weights are you using on your 5/6 cane rod for our summer/fall fish on the Rogue? Can’t wait to use the bamboo winter rod you built for me this winter! John

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
973 Posts
John - I fish the Nextcast FF 45 in 450-475 grains. If you want to use a Scandi it would be 390 grains

1 - 20 of 25 Posts