Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
19,796 Posts
I like this one a lot !!
I can't help but think how well it would fish too ....
With all the crest flies you have been tying lately , this one is by far my favorite :)

Very nice work my friend , well done :smokin:

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like this one a lot !!
I can't help but think how well it would fish too ....
With all the crest flies you have been tying lately , this one is by far my favorite :)

Very nice work my friend , well done :smokin:

Mike
Mike thank you, a new venture for me for sure, not sure where this will take me next but I have some smaller versions of this same hook on their way.

I really enjoy seeing your work. Top shelf !!

dave
Dave, very much appreciated, working another here really soon

like a time machine for the past.
really nice detailed work.
Thanks Dingle, more to come for sure, and do me a favor PM me on the FB, id like to live vicariously through you on one of these, ill explain there..

Sweet fly Matt. What is the whiteish thing running up the center ? Very neat looking fly.
Matt,
it is in fact a light dun speckled turkey tail slips 4 barbs to be precise.

Material list as follows:
Hook: Ronn Lucas 5/0 WM B&S +1/2 shank
Tag: three turns sm gold french oval, puce green silk to the point of the hook.
Tail: (two) toppings, cascaded and shaped near flat to the end of the tag
Butted with ostrich herl.
Body: Five equal sections, three turns sm gold french oval, orange silk butted with two turns of scarlet dyed Macaw.
Wing: (six) toppings, cascaded touching the tail, veiled with (four) barb strips of light dun speckled turkey tail, curved to match wing shape.
Cheeks: COR subs make of Impeyan Monal scapulars dyed scarlet.
Throat: two turns of Sky blue dyed Macaw
Head: thread, shaped like cap of a bullet, varnished, ALOT!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
This is my favorite fly you have tied. Its the first one that feels finished to me, and it has an essential fishiness that i look for in a fly. I love the tips at the back of each silk segment. very classy and something i want to incorporate into some of my patterns.

I still don't like crest wings, but thats just me. you did this one justice by adding a secondary wing for interest. And that hackle is just simply lovely. it looks very fishy.

Really love this fly, I think you are finding a style that is more personal to you and less sterile. I like seeing more of you in the flies.

thanks for sharing man, and hold on tight, If i swung this in my back yard today it would be less pretty after teeth got a hold of it!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank Matt, yeah, the oval is a nice touch, apparently it should be on the other side of the hackle by some of the blacker recipes. I found it quite pleasing to tie and challenged by making the body transition smoothly.

Thank you for the nice words bud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.