Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th Spey i have ever tied in my life. Again nontraditional. I see 2 major mistakes and that means i need glasses when im tying. So go ahead and beat this one up.
Kevin you can tell me to take a razor to it and start all over. I'm expecting that.
For myself i might fish it. Still not even close to what i would fish

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey, it's not that bad!

You already know what you want to improve on, so practice on it. I've taken many a hook to the razor over the years. Sometimes, it's my most used tool!!

As far as swinging it, I would. The fish don't care about the details like we do!

Keep the ties coming,

-Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, it's not that bad!

You already know what you want to improve on, so practice on it. I've taken many a hook to the razor over the years. Sometimes, it's my most used tool!!

As far as swinging it, I would. The fish don't care about the details like we do!

Keep the ties coming,

-Bill
My razor is getting dull. Haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fish it. You can call it "guide" style. In all seriousness i'd fish it like crazy. It looks buggy and im sure it will have a ton of motion.

Ben

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Leaps and bounds on this one. Beginning to think you are pulling someone's leg here and your next will be the quintessential spey...

You have two tinsels in the body. I'd suggest either to follow the flat with the hackle and counter with the silver, or to rib the body with the flat first, counter-wrap the hackle second and then run the silver rib last in the same direction as the flat tinsel - if that makes sense. Either way - take care to maintain the intervals between each wrap.

G

·
Spey

Maybe a good idea to forget the hackle and concentrate on a good rib and body, then your throat and winging.
Just an idea, don't mind me, I too have much to learn.
Keep at it, it is a rewarding hobby

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leaps and bounds on this one. Beginning to think you are pulling someone's leg here and your next will be the quintessential spey...

You have two tinsels in the body. I'd suggest either to follow the flat with the hackle and counter with the silver, or to rib the body with the flat first, counter-wrap the hackle second and then run the silver rib last in the same direction as the flat tinsel - if that makes sense. Either way - take care to maintain the intervals between each wrap.
I'll do that on the next one. Kevin mentioned a king so I noticed it had 2 flat tinsels and I just kind of winged it. I'll do flat following with hackle countered with oval.
Thanks for that tip

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Work on not having the small gaps in the head. Flattening the thread by spinning the bobbin counterclockwise would help greatly with this too.

Try ribbing and wrap the hackle in this sequence:

1) Tie the flat tinsel in on the near side of the hook and the oval on the far side, not side-by-side.

2) Wrap the body.

3) Rib the body with the flat tinsel (about 4 turns would be right).

4) Tie in the spey hackle near its tip at the front of the body, make two wraps right in front of the body and then wrap it back to the rear of the body. DON'T LET IT GO UNTIL YOU GET AT LEAST ONE WRAP OF THE OVAL TINSEL OVER ITS STEM IN THE NEXT STEP!

5) Take the oval tinsel and wrap it forward 1/2 way between the flat tinsel ribbing making sure you tie down the spey hackle with it on each wrap forward. (You are using the oval to tie-down the spey hackle just like you would use a wire ribbing to hold the hackle in place on a WOOLLY BUGGER or EGG-SUCKING LEECH.)

6) Cut the extra butt end of the spey hackle off leaving a very short stem behind the oval tinsel rib that holds it in place at the rear of the body.

Doing these two things (not having gaps in the thread at the head and wrapping the ribbings and spey hackle as described above) will make a very noticeable difference in your spey flies. You will like the result when you do so.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
getting a lot better.

id say the wing is a tad long. also i cant really tell in picture but they can not over lap at the tying in point. if your tying right handed your rib is in the "wrong" direction. the body seem nice and tight and thin. the ribs like said above you should have one counter wrapping the hackle. depend on the pattern some call for crisscross ribs some call the hackle to crisscross. 1-3 turns for throat all you need. personally i find natural duck like teal or pintail to look the best on spey flies of this sort ( and its what mostly called for anyways) it would look more vintage per say if there was a turn of fluff for the first turn of hackle. there seems to be space between throat and wing. get your self some good wax. ( not the stuff you buy at local fly shops that come in lip balm tubs) get cobblers wax. aaron stuff is great so is the white and black ones from john these are your friends in this style of tying. and spit/water great great tools, like said above reversing the thread will help. varnish that head:) over all lot of improvement

for a lot of spey flies tying all the tinsels at the same place cause problems when wrapping them up the body and keeping even spacing with 3-4 wraps of each

dont razor it... it fishy fish it:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice Kevin. The wings didn't cross in the front. I did crush a fiber on the near side by the head. I tied the tinsels on opposite sides but instead of counter wrapping I went with the double because I think you mentioned a king series. So I got all messed up when I second guessed myself. Didn't commit to the original pattern. The tinsels are also uneven near the 2nd wrap.The throat I'm noticing with 1.5 turns of guinea that it's the wrong material. The head looked decent until I put my glasses on. Then all the gaps appeared. I'm having issues when cutting the butt ends of the wings forcing me to do to many wraps on the head. I've used a straight razor. Need help fixing this. Haha. For the wax part I have 3lbs of wax I made in different consistencies. I do things in excess. Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts