Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW !!! :D
I just heard my friend Toni from Finland caught this fish on the Orkla recently.
More details to follow.
Speyladdie. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow,
that's got me buzzing. I'm lucky enough to be going there for a few days in a couple of weeks. Any idea where he caught it? Also I could do with a few fly suggestions.....

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Monster!

Great fish Tony! I guess it should be no surprise after all of the fish that you caught here in Michigan. :Eyecrazy: This guy is one fishy fella.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Sweet fish, and I was just sitting here tying up some Tony K. style weighted tubes. Any pics of the fly that took that monster?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for everybody!

Yes that fish was 20.00kg and 124 cm long fresh June fish from river Orkla, Norway. One of the biggest fresh Atlantics by fly. ( casting from shore )
And by far my biggest fish ever pulled in shore...had a good time whit fighting whit that freight train :smokin:
I got lucky ;)

I did catch the fish whit Sillen type pattern that was tied by professional swedish flytyer Mikael Lindström for me fwe years back, really big fly that had silver body , and wing that was white and black. Underwing was white polar bear and top of that some white tempeldog and rest was black long tempeldog hair, some silver holo tinsel between the different colors in the wing. ( Looks like big minnow)

I did use single tube hook ( carp hook -maybe Owner? ) And Power Taper 4/5 sinkin head...water was + 5-6 C and really high conditions

Here You can find the hole story + some pics - its on english...

www.guidelineflyfish.com

Thanks,

Toni

·
Registered
18 Posts
big and silver

well what can we sy GREAT FISH and an amazing story to go with it
congratulatons on your fish of a lifetime
gary

·
fly on little wing
1,116 Posts
Congratulations Toni

That is a very nice fish and a great story too. It must really have been a shock when the branch started to move and you realized that it was a fish.

Gary

·
Registered
210 Posts
Toni,

Congratulations, what a fantastic salmon!
I read your story and what a fight to get that monster in!

I will be fishing the Orkla for a week starting July 17 with the Syrstads around Lokken Verk, hopefully I'll hook up with a nice salmon. I heard that the average fish is about 20 lbs this year and Trond said someone caught a 30 lb fish last week right where I'll be going. I am tying flies now and will try to make some similar to the one you used.

If I hook into a monster like yours, it will probably just wear me out and drag me down the river since I weigh only 105 lbs! Can't wait to get there.

Tight lines,
Donna

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I hate to be a spoil sport or to make assumptions without full details.however the pictures in front of a cabin make me wonder! If I catch a fish like that I will return it without a picture if necessary to make sure those genes keep going forward.Beau

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
I saw the pic too and thought what a shame. The only thing that made me feel a little better is that it's a male! If it had been a Hen laden with eggs i would have cried.
Congratulations on a fine salmon,,, just wish the story had a happier ending.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Registered
42 Posts
What's with the catch and release guilt trip???? What a load of bollocks!
Awesome fish Toni. Pay no attention to any negative comments on keeping your life time salmon, perhaps they're just jealous?

I know how hard you've worked for that one. Well done mate. Your my hero.

Pete.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Salmon Chaser and beau purvis.
Gentlemen.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a fish now and then.Especially a fish of a life time.
Just to reasure you,Toni releases a lot of Atlantic Salmon in a season.
Also,after discussing at length the whole story about this fish it was a unanimous decision made by several experienced anglers that the fish would probably die if released and was possible it's last year to run the river to spawn.
Toni did feel bad having to keep the fish,but alas he did,after taking advise from his piers.
Also,he is a very serious Salmon fisherman and has high standards regarding ethics and any thing pertaining to Atlantic Salmon.
I hope this clears the issue up and we don't hear any more negative comments.
Regards Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Neil.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with retaining a fish here and there, my opinion only expressed my sadness at seeing such a large fish killed. I don't know Toni and never directed any ill feelings or a "guilt trip" as it was called.
I am a 100% C&R guy and have trouble seeing hatchery Grilse leaving the river this way,, let alone the fish in the picture.
My original post only expressed a desire to see a happier ending(release). Thats all. Thanks for letting me know the details neil,now i guess i know the rest of the story.
Pete H, relax a bit with your reponses :mad:

Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
hello Toni. great story! i can't imagine there being a nicer salmon........

i've always believed that a person "makes his own luck" you've certainly proved that to be true.......... what a beauty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone.

first - Donna , Hope You have some great fishing in Orkla. Thight Lines!!

Yes I know it would have been really nice to release that big fish and hopefully someday I have change to do that ( over 44lb ). When You catch that size fresh Atlantic Salmon it´s more or less "ones in a life time fish" You will get. This time there were no happy ending for the fish.

There was the time to choose and this was my call, that fish would never, ever been landed whit out using that damn hook. When I made that call, I knew how it will end. Sad put true.

C/R is really good way to fish and it´s very important that we do that.
I still belive that we should think when that is possible. Fish that are bleeding or badly damaged should be killed and not put back in to the water suffer more ( my opinion ). Fish that has been under big stres and long fight can die very easily, no matter how we try to help them. That happens, nobody cant do 100% C/R. I also think that it is the other way showing the respect for the fish not let them suffer if they are baddly damaged.

I release almoust all my salmons and all seatrouts that I get. I take fwe ( 3-4 ) salmons eatch year and enjoy a great dinner whit my friends and my family
cause that is what fishermen should do also ;) and not feel bad about it.

Well any way, Thight lines to every one :smokin:

Toni

·
Registered
328 Posts
Toni, well don! :smokin:

Were you in gaula week 28? I saw your name on the cath statistics!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Jacob!

No, sorry ;) . You probably saw name Toni Kakkuri. His my friend who was fishing in Guideline beat at that time. He landed salmon round 8 kg?
He was whit Håkan Norling...
Toni owns a flyshop in Helsinki.

I was fishing in Aaelva at week 28 and Naeroydalselva last week.
Just got back home today. Fishing at Aaelva was really good, really good.
The most stunning place I have ever fished. :)

Toni

·
Registered
210 Posts
Atlantic salmon on the Orkla river!

I caught my first 8.2 Kg Norwegian Laks on my first night on the Orkla river on July 18 at 1:30am at Hovelvaldet using a yellow shrimp that I tied, the new Loop LTS X1 12ft 6" two-handed rod, with floating Speed Line, intermediate sink leader, Bauer M6 reel. I was told that these fish are strong and now I know that's true. :D

Right after I landed that salmon, on my second run through the same beat, I had a 10+ Kg fish on. I fought it a good 10 minutes, it jumped 3 times and just ran down stream and never came back! I think I should have chased it to keep tension on the line but I guess I just didn't know what to do with such a big fish. Hope you guys who have landed big fish will give me some advice on what to do next time. It was incredible to have fought 2 big fish in a row, what luck I had that night!

After this big bang of a start, fishing for the remainder of the week slowed down. Even though we did get some rain, it wasn't enough to really move the salmon. However, I am contented with just the one fish, since that was the largest and most beautiful atlantic salmon I've ever landed. My friend foster landed a 7.5Kg salmon plus 2 smaller grils.

Can't wait till next year to go back, perhaps I'll try the 3rd week or end of June instead of July to go for the big fish!

Tight lines,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts