Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To follow up dbdriftboats question: For a 540-620 grain head, which opst do you recommend or personal preference. I am concerned about having enough turn-over for the head, as Ward describes in the video?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This past October I bought the 50lb. test size to use with my 13' 7wt. Echo rod and 540 grain Skagit compact head. This was my first experience using a mono running line. The 50lb. size is still smaller in diameter than the Airflo Ridge 30lb. running line I was using and I wanted to be able to feel and grip the mono.

I don't know what the 40lb. OPST would feel like but I'm glad I got the 50lb.
After about 40 days on the river it has performed great for me with no kinking and shoots like a dream.

My one problem/complaint with it concerns trying to tie a Triple surgeons loop that they recommend using for attaching to your backing at the rear and your Skagit head at the front. I couldn't get the knot small enough for my liking so I just made a loop and secured it with 2 nail knots using 15lb. Maxima.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got the 40lb i believe for my 7wt and probably wouldn't have an issue with the 50lb either. The shooting line is fantastic and flies through the guides really well.

Fish Tech is right on about the diameter. You will notice that it is also smaller than comparable mono running lines like Big Game. I too had issues doing a triple surgeons loop at the ends and ended up doing a double instead. The knot is nice and tiny and I used some UV cure to smooth out the minimal knot and haven't noticed it at all. If you have issues with the triple though OPST posted a video of Ed showing how he does the triple surgeons loop. Note: you will need some gloves for it ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Where is everyone buying the OPST? I only saw 25# on the website store.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Where is everyone buying the OPST? I only saw 25# on the website store.
Nevermind, my work computer didn't give me the drop down menu.

·
Registered
204 Posts
OPST SP Lazar

Emailed OPST for diameters.

Smaller diameter compared to Berkley Big Game.

25lb. .0159
30lb. .017
35lb. .0185
40lb. .020
50lb. .224

I'm thinking 40lb. for heavier Winter heads and 35lb. for lighter Summer heads should work well for me.

GG

·
Registered
297 Posts
40 pound

I have the 35lbs for 540 or less grain heads and 40lbs for my heavier stuff. I like the 40lbs as it is slightly thicker which helps in the winters, coils stay a little longer but a stretch and Zoom!

DH

·
flailing less
490 Posts
I have the 35lbs for 540 or less grain heads and 40lbs for my heavier stuff. I like the 40lbs as it is slightly thicker which helps in the winters, coils stay a little longer but a stretch and Zoom!

DH
Plus 1.

Also, I noticed a definite tendency for the lighter weights to twist rather easily when fished with heavier heads and flies. This is not meant as a criticism of the product, just a personal observation that matching the diameter of the Lazar running line to the weight of the head is at least as important with this brand as with other similar offerings. The published recommendations for various strengths seem spot on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts