Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd time. I'm not going for a traditional look. Proportions is what I'm after. I went sparser on the throat and thicker on wing. If you think this fly will flip please let me know why. There is no sail or fin to twist it.
Thanks
image.jpg

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
and certainly your best yet. another coat of head cement with some fingernail work and she will be spiffy. I am loving the metal bodies lately, they sink super fast

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
wing are about right show topview of them. hackle the body on theae flies, it.not.just.a collar there a body hackle to spey flies, the wings dont seem to be equal in lengh, pushing the.hackle.likethat to.the bottom. in my opinion is useless water moves it baxk.and it tend.to.make.fly look.fuller then it.is, look at vintage spey flies there hackles are crazy, also your ribs dont seem.equal. for the BM tie it.in the grey spot.of the feather that your sweet part has the most bend. you can see improvment in ever fly keep it up

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Kevin knows what he is talking about so take that into consideration but this is a HUGE improvement from the last! I too would like to see a top view but I'd say your proportions are looking good and can't see why it wouldn't swing true, get it to the river and find out!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Nice proportions. If you were to palmer the hackle through the body it would thin the collar a bit and give the fly more presence in the water.

·
Banned
690 Posts
kevin is on point for sure...
Certainly far and away better than my first efforts man...keep at it...

CC

Here's how your roof should look...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Honestly I told another member I wanted to use a hackle through the abdomen. Now it's the proportions I'm looking for. The wings do look un equal but they aren't its the near side hackle in the shot I most of hit it so it looks like it scissored. For tying in the white Kevin the BM pairs I have are too big and I'm trying to make them work or I'm using a too small of a hook. I don't want to waste all my kori on wings. If I was able to tie in the white it would be easier to cut with a razor and get a tight head.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If your mallard is too large feel free to send it to me, I have bags of the little stuff! Haha I'd say take the couple suggestions and do it again, tie the same fly several times and maybe pick a set pattern so you have reference, say a lady Caroline for example. Keep posting your ahead of the game!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts