Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Does anyone know the 3M product Bob Clay use to assemble his rods? I have heard many times 3M had the ticket, but can't find the actual name of this tape. I know there are several guys with spliced rods on here - someone's gotta know.

Thanks, Nathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should look at your local home supply store. The one with the orange shelving has alot of choices mostly based on the temp rating of the tape. I like the brown as it looks good on cane and is the least visually distracting. 3m makes a good product and there are only a couple choices, treat yourself to the $5 roll.

Good luck,

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
3m

The 3m tape is nice and stretchy so it says nice and tight on the joint. The Gordons told me to use it when we were fishing some Greenheart rods last year. I always use it as it is the best tape for electrical work for the same reasons. It satys on but is easy to remove at the end. Also pretty not affected by cold weather. An nice alternative to leather thongs. You can get it at any good electrial supply store, even good hardware stores have it. Stay away from the cheap vinyl stuff.

You want 3M 33+ Super

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Nathan, Why haven't you just called Bob Clay up and ask him? 250-842-6447

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
One of the problems of a cane Spey rod building is finding big enough ferrules, and if one builds pentas they just aren't available. Finnish rodmaker Tapani Salmi has used shrink wrap on his rods,including some two handers.Just shrink wrap 2 layers onto the scarf joint.Holds up EXTREMELY well and the outdoor types is UV protected!!
Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, Gents!

So I'm guessing it's the Super 33+ e-tape that comes in the plastic container, right(btw-container is great for the tying table)? Thanks for Bob's # Junkyard spey. I just remembered 2 years ago when Bob was at the Sandy, he had a clear tape. I'll just have to give him a ring. Have had others inquire about what I used, so I hope they find this post.

Thanks again, Nathan

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Nathan.

When you find out what clear tape he was using post it for us OK....My rod arrived this morning. Post office just called to let me know it is in

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So I'm guessing it's the Super 33+ e-tape that comes in the plastic container, right(btw-container is great for the tying table)? Thanks for Bob's # Junkyard spey. I just remembered 2 years ago when Bob was at the Sandy, he had a clear tape. I'll just have to give him a ring. Have had others inquire about what I used, so I hope they find this post.

Thanks again, Nathan
Nathan....wondering if the clear stretchy tape is Hockey tape, used by players to keep their leg gear in place.

Keep me posted if you find the clear 3M

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gents,

Got a reply for Bob Clay on spliceing tape-
I was using a clear tape, Duck brand 3/4 wide cyrstal clear. Now I am using a brown electrical tape that usually you can get it at Home depot, its Plymouth brand
So, I guess we're back to e-tape.

Norseman, if you get your hands on that hockey tape I'd be curious ho it works. If it has a deent tack and doesnt stretch to much it could be the ticket.

The Super33+ that Jack menioned leaves less residue and stretches less than vinyl. I think the elasticity of the e-tape may be better than a static clear tape which cannot stretched around the joint as tight.

Thats' all I know, Nathan

·
Registered
559 Posts
Joining spliced rods.

Just be careful to get a soft stretchy tape - Red Shed is so right about temperature and tape. Most of the elect.stores sell thin tape which goes very brittle when cold. ( Have you noticed with graphite rods the joint loosens as the temperature drops?)

Also, I was told by a very experienced user of Sharpes spliced rods to tape a few turns at each end of the joint (covering the tip of the up-rod section) and to wind the main body of the joint with open spirals about a tape width apart.
Evidently this was the method originally advised by sharpes....It certainly gives more of a thorough action.

Brianco.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Clear tape

The clear tape that I have used is similar in stretch and cold weather flexibility to the Scotch 33+, but a little thinner and more flexible.

It is made by Scotch and I find it in hardware stores in the display with their colored decorative tapes, in some stores I find it with the electrical tape and other stores it is elsewhere.

What I don't like about it is it comes in very small rolls, only enough for two or three days of fishing.

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Nathan

I found the hockey tape. It is made by a company called Renfrew. It is available most anywhere they sell hockey gear. It is quite stretchy, clear, has good tack especially when overlapped slightly,and when I tried it tonight, it left little or no glue residue on the cane. It held very tight, and looks very good on the rod.

When you burnish the tape with the finger nail it almost disappears on the rod.

Approx $3 a roll.

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clear Tape on order!

Paul,

Thanks so much for the info! On my first Google hit I fould the following:
Renfrew Polyflex™ shin guard tape
This stuff is cheap(6-100' rolls for $11) and I can't wait to try the stuff!

Will spread the word, Nathan

·
CaneRods
6 Posts
Nathan

I found the hockey tape. It is made by a company called Renfrew. It is available most anywhere they sell hockey gear. It is quite stretchy, clear, has good tack especially when overlapped slightly,and when I tried it tonight, it left little or no glue residue on the cane. It held very tight, and looks very good on the rod.

When you burnish the tape with the finger nail it almost disappears on the rod.

Approx $3 a roll.

Paul
Don't use Renfrew hockey tape on cane rods if you're on an extended trip. It may work well enough for day trips, but it becomes gummy after a few days in the sun. It's made for indoor use.
Ron

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks Ron.

You have far more experience than I in this field. I appreciate the heads up.
I have been trying to find the brown electical tape......no luck in my neck of the woods.

Best regards
Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts