Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 34' Airflo Scandi Compact (480) with a 10ft polyleader going to be too short for my ARE 14' 5/6? I think the gr weight should be right on, but it seems like best length would be closer to 37' or 38'

The water's too hard to try it, so I turn to you guys.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I fish a 34' Rio Steelhead Scandi all the time on my 13'9" burkie, but I usually use 14' polyleaders, plus tippet

·
Registered
741 Posts
Agree with Randy. Lower lift will be the key with shorter lines. That said you will probably enjoy this rod with more of a mid belly line in the 45ft length.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Is the 34' Airflo Scandi Compact (480) with a 10ft polyleader going to be too short for my ARE 14' 5/6? I think the gr weight should be right on, but it seems like best length would be closer to 37' or 38'

The water's too hard to try it, so I turn to you guys.
That line is about perfect for that rod if you want it to be, with or without the polyleader. I use a Rio Scandi Short versitip for skagit and scandi on mine with 10 or 15' tips, sinking and floating. It mostly will depend on your casting stroke and personal preference. The Nextcast and Deltas are nice on it too, but a short scandi is fun on the rod. Everything is fun on that stick.

Yoda1 has tried a ton of various scandi lines on that rod. Maybe he will chime in.

·
flailing less
490 Posts
That grain weight is certainly in the window at the length you mentioned, and 34 feet is not too short for most casters.

Steve Godshall has mentioned here that 485 grains at 37 feet suits him.

My preference for that particular rod with a scandi setup after too much experimentation is the 6/7 Nextcast FF at around 505 grains and 41 feet, followed closely by the Rio 510 grain steelhead scandi at 34 feet.

Further personal opinion: That rod's flex profile does not appreciate any sudden application of excessive force, so line it for efficiency of effort, avoiding any set-up that would collapse the tip section.:)

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys.

Yoda1 - out of curiosity, how heavy did you try? Did you happen to try something around 529 gr @ 38 feet?

Translation: thats the 8wt (400gr) rio scandi + the 9wt 15 ft tips (129gr). Both of which I have...

·
flailing less
490 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Yoda1 - out of curiosity, how heavy did you try? Did you happen to try something around 529 gr @ 38 feet?

Yes, I did try something in the above weight/length range--a Rio AFS 8/9, which is listed at 520 grains, 38.5 feet (my sample weighed closer to 530 by the way). The AFS taper is not radically different IMO from the FF, just sports a finer front end. It did not outperform the FF 6/7 head, and when I noticed the rear of the AFS head landing prematurely and velocity falling off, that cinched it for me.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Translation: thats the 8wt (400gr) rio scandi + the 9wt 15 ft tips (129gr). Stuff I currently have.
David: Are you saying you have the 400 grain Rio Scandi body (23' without the floating tip) and using 15' 129 grain rio replacement DC tips? IF so, that Is what I like using on that rod. Although I think its the 15' #7 tips that are 129 grains. Works fine for T&G or waterborne casting and will turn over a pretty respectable size weighted Moal if you are into that.

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David: Are you saying you have the 400 grain Rio Scandi body (23' without the floating tip) and using 15' 129 grain rio replacement DC tips? IF so, that Is what I like using on that rod. Although I think its the 15' #7 tips that are 129 grains. Works fine for T&G or waterborne casting and will turn over a pretty respectable size weighted Moal if you are into that.
SkagitM - that's it exactly. This is what comes of getting 98% of my gear from the bargain bin. I've already got an 8wt (400 gr) Scandi body that I got for my switch rod, and I've got a set of 15' tips from a 9wt single hand versitip system I picked up for pike fishing on my 9wt. I'm pretty sure all the Rio DC tips are exactly the same whether they came in a single hand kit or a 2H kit. Looking at the Rio specs, the 9wt15' tips should be 129gr. I think I may be in luck!

Basically, if i can use the tips well on my ARE, I've managed to get 2 functional versitip systems for around $90 total, I don't have to buy a new line for the (u fortunately!) few times I'll realistically get to use that rod, and it's time to do a little victory dance.

More info than you guys needed. Can't wait for the water to soften up a bit so I can try it myself.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
SkagitM - that's it exactly. This is what comes of getting 98% of my gear from the bargain bin. I've already got an 8wt (400 gr) Scandi body that I got for my switch rod, and I've got a set of 15' tips from a 9wt single hand versitip system I picked up for pike fishing on my 9wt. I'm pretty sure all the Rio DC tips are exactly the same whether they came in a single hand kit or a 2H kit. Looking at the Rio specs, the 9wt15' tips should be 129gr. I think I may be in luck!

Basically, if i can use the tips well on my ARE, I've managed to get 2 functional versitip systems for around $90 total, I don't have to buy a new line for the (u fortunately!) few times I'll realistically get to use that rod, and it's time to do a little victory dance.

More info than you guys needed. Can't wait for the water to soften up a bit so I can try it myself.
That's great. I think you will be very pleased. Really good combo at a great price. Cant beat that. Let us know how you like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts