Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"2'nd Annual" Flyfishing Forum Charity Spey Casting Clinic IS A GO!!!

HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!!!

Dates for the Second Annual Charity Spey Casting Clinic will be March 22 and 23- 2003. As was the case last year all net proceeds will be distributed to organizations who have ongoing youth oriented fishing programs. As your checks to sign up for the clinic will be 'addressed' as above, 95% probability you can zip off your income tax. A good thing as you'll have a cancelled check to prove it, and I have all the records to confirm funds went to 503C charity groups.

Again, this year Dr. Way Yin and Mr. Steve Choate will be our instructors (and they do it for free!, we just pay their expenses to get down here). Max class size will be 10 students for the two days; idea being you've got the undivided attention of two, of the three, worlds best spey casters with all the time you need for personal instruction. As an "Added Attraction," Bob Meiser of Meiser Spey Rods (he's a Forum Sponsor) here in the Ashland/Medford area, will be on the team facilitating the Clinic.

This will be the first time a large number of Forum members will have a chance to try the BEAUTIFUL!!! rods that come out of his company. Custom made blanks to his specifications: and you've all seen the posts from folks who own his rods .... Ya Baby!!!!!

As with last year, the registration fee will cover your Continental Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, lunches, and The Party (even Joan's looking forward to doing that again:D ) on Saturday night. Joan and I will be providing good wine again for this years dinner.

You will be video taped during the day(s) and the video's reviewed at The Party (sniggering is allowed ... until we get to your part of the film). As was the case last year, Joan and I will be opening our home to folks who want to stay with us to cut their expenses (ya, it is important to a lot us us).

Price this year for the two days, meals (and lodging-even if it turns out to be a sleeping bag) will be $300 per student. A slight increase over last years, but I'd love to increase the amount of the donations that come out of the Clinic. The slight increase ($25.00 per day) will get close to doubling the net donations. And on that note: all donations are CLEARLY MARKED as coming from the members of the Worldwide Flyfishing Forum Board. Credit where credit is due.

Another fun thing about the Charity Spey Clinic (if last year was any example), this is also a 'mini-clave' and you'll have different rods, lines, etc., out the ying-yang to try. And I really mean try ... before you buy. Last year matching the different rods up with the new XLT lines (first time they were given major public exposure) was a gas.

In 2002 we had 'skill levels' that ran from darned good, to one fellow who had never held a Spey rod in his hands before Saturday morning. So if you want to learn from the very best of the best ... this is your shot. Again, the class size is limited to 10 students to assure you get ALL the 'one-on-one' time you want/need with Way and Steve.

For registration contact me at [email protected] or [email protected].

I'll need your name, address, e mail address and telephone number(s).
For: Joan, Nate, Dave, Bob, Steve and Way:

Looking forward to seeing you in March.

AND I forgot to add: During 'class' we're "hookless;" but as these dates fall smack in the middle of our winter steelhead season fishing 'before and after' class is to be encouraged. Two-three day 'out of state' licences are dirt cheap so .......:devil:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Fred -

You're a saint! Between the generosity of the pros you have coming and the sure crowd you'll gather, it's bound to be a fantastic event. Please record pics and all the details for us.

Kudos Sir!

Juro

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Juro/Dana Many thanks for the warm regards but if it

weren't for you and your Blood, Sweat and Tears (include Sean in on that one!) all of this wouldn't be possible.

The Charity Spey Clave is just a small token of my appreciation back to the Board for the hours of great reading, correspondence and friendship that you folks have showen .. to both Joan and I.

Joan/Fred Evans

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Thanks, Fred!

One of the reasons we set up these boards was to promote the fellowship we enjoy through angling, and the good work that anglers can do in their communities. We're proud that these boards can be utilized to promote such positive events as your charity clinic. Your selfless dedication to this project (and many others, like the Sandy Clave) serves as a first class example of what can be done by people with vision.

It is also great to see Way Yin and Steve Choate back on board with us as contributing members of the Forum/Spey Clave community. Their willingness to participate without fee in an event so closely associated with the Forum really underscores their commitment to our principles and efforts! By providing top-notch instruction to Forum members at the charity clinic, Way and Steve help us to achieve our mission of promoting fellowship and noble endeavor while adding to the knowledge and experience of Spey casters everywhere.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good news! Our first sign ups are coming in already!

And even better news (ok, Guys/Gals: this is where we put the 'pressure' to the SeanMeister). He has a trip planned to come down to stay with Joan and I to do some winter run fishing while wife is away for a week.

His "PM" from a moment ago asked if arriving on the afternoon of March 23'rd would be ok (thinking Charity Spey Clinic); told him I'd make him an "even better deal." Now we've all got to "PM" him, to convince his wife, that he'll pull out on Friday March 21'st and the Board will "comp" his attendance at the Clinic. Where better to 'un-learn' all those nasty bad habits he's developing with than new wedding present?

Considering he's one of the "Main Men" who make this whole thing go I think it's only appropriate. So "PM" away!!!!:D

fae

Hoy Vey: update (Sean, you can run, but you can't hide:devil: ) We know where you live, and we have your immediate family under close observation. Cave, or should that be: Clave?, in Gracefully. :D
fae, et. al.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I am very sorry I will miss it this year. One of the best events I have ever participated in and a great group of folks!! I will be in Idaho fishing for steelhead on the Salmon River with a spey and fishing for 20"+ trout sipping size 20 BWO's with my 2 wt on the Big Lost right about then so I don't feel too bad!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dear Fred,

Thanks so much for all your effort in organizing this years event. I can't wait to renew friendships with some of the southern Oregon, Northern California spey nuts! What a wonderful group of people! I also need to make a formal apology to Dana, as I was un-aware that the date chosen for this years charity event conflicts with one of his spey schools in British Columbia. I do indeed apologize...It was certainly not our intent to interfere or attract any potential students from your class....This years charity clinic is limited to 10 students, so I am very hopeful that it will not detract from your spey school. For anyone interested, this year at the charity clinic we will also include some single handed spey techniques which we would be more than happy to expand upon if there is enough interest for those single handed guys not ready to jump into the two handed arena yet. I will personally miss seeing Rick Jorgenson this year, but am happy for his trip just the same. If any of this years participants have any specific requests regarding casting techniques, rod/line configurations they would like to see or try, etc., etc., please let me know and I will try and make sure these areas are covered at the charity clinic. With the support of Freds organizational team and his gracious hospitality, this years charity clinic should be a blast!

I look forward to a great event and making some new, and renewing some old friendships!

steve

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
apologies?

No need, my friend! Further to my comments above, both events support the Forum/SpeyClave and their members, and top-notch instruction at both sites plus a little geography will hopefully ensure good turnouts in Medford and Vancouver. Heck, if I wasn't teaching too that weekend I'd hop a plane and join you! Now that would be a gas!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that would be tooooo cooool for words!!!!

Dana said:
No need, my friend! Further to my comments above, both events support the Forum/SpeyClave and their members, and top-notch instruction at both sites plus a little geography will hopefully ensure good turnouts in Medford and Vancouver. Heck, if I wasn't teaching too that weekend I'd hop a plane and join you! Now that would be a gas!
My evil tiny mind just forged ahead to 2004!:devil:

And I've got to add my appolgies also on the date conflict. The 'grief' lies within my court on this. :(
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW! Just said lets do it and we're 1/3 into full

registration for the 2nd Annual Charity Spey Casting Clinic. Too Cool!

But lets turn a hard left here Guys/Gals. We're in Ashland Oregon home of Shakespeare . The Clinic is NOT just for you, it's for you and your 'sig. other.' "She/He putts about Ashland and enriches our 'local economy' and you get the 'how to' from two of the the worlds bests.

AND WE WANT! both of you on the beach, or at least, at THE Party on Saturday night. (So you'll know this is for sure, at least half the fellow last year had their 'main squeeze' with us on Saturday evening. Couple of them actually 'sniggered' when they watched the video's....) So, you come early/stay late, do a bit of Sharespeare; MONDOO points. An no loose situation.
:devil:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I said we were '1/3rd on our way,' !!

Today we're half way home on registrations!!

Very, very cool!!!:D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man we are ROLLING!! Way and Steve have

some new goodies for the Clinic. Even I'm looking forward to seeing how you do 'that.' No hints ... yet.:D

Checks for the Clinic should be made out as follows:

Charity Spey Casting Clinic

Send to Fred Evans
c/o KeyBank
2 East Main Street
Medford, OR 97501

A specific bank account is set up each year to track the income/outgo of all funds. If your CPA needs the info; happy to provide.
Fred/Joan

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Fred, the check is in the mail:) . I am looking forward to a great weekend of instruction and fun. lastcaststeve, the only question i have regarding casting techniques is becouse i am left handed, am i right in assuming you will be teaching from both sides of the river?.tight lines,brian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 'tickle' is your not the first :>)

Last year we had a fellow who was a 'lefty' who had never held a spey rod in his hands before Saturday AM. By Sunday PM (I'll leave the name out of this) he was consistently hitting out to 80+ feet with a half a dozen different rods/lines. With the xlt, and a long leader, "he" was punching out well over 90.

Had to admit; what our 'teachers' can do with a fellow in a 48 hour period of 'one on one' was amazing. Another major reason the group is limited to 10 or 11 "students" max. The idea is you really do have the worlds best .... for as long as you need them ... as long as you want them..... and a lot more.

We do still have openings for the clinic; please consider all that's involved .... especially the kids getting the bucks.
fae
Dah Fred! For registration (WD, don't forget to send me a email!) shoot me the 'I'll be there,' at
[email protected].
:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After all our posts/e mails I'm really looking forward

Whiskey Dick said:
E-Mail on the way Fred:) , tight lines,brian
to meeting you. I've only fished the Deschts. once and have to admit the beauty of the area/river is mind blowing. The 'hard part' was getting used to the water volume vis a vis what we have on the Rogue. Your 'normal' would be close to 'flood' conditions for us. Was quite a 'reality check' to get used to the difference .... and wading about with a staff ...... and my heart in my throat!

At one place the Guide dropped me off (second angler down stream), I actually thought the 'jig may be up.' Took me 15 minutes of tiny 'baby shuffle steps' to extricate myself. Not a drop in my chest waders, but the other fellow, in not much over knee deep water, stepped into a hole and went for a swim minutes later.:whoa: Fortunately it was in a side eddy so he didn't get a free look at the downstream water with the guide chasing him in the boat.
:smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The checks be rollin in!

Don't forget to make your registration check out to:

Charity Spey Casting Clinic

That, and the bank account (with the same name), is where the funds get banked .... or at least until I head for Canada.:D

Great fun call today from a new class member. He was at one of the fly shows down in Calif. and was trying out a spey rod at the casting pond. Fellow next to him was 'mumbling' about how he couldn't cut loose to come up to a 'charity spey casting clinic' here in So. Oregon.

Fellow got the info on how to hook to the board, e mailed me this morning and registered this afternoon.

Very Cool!!! Except for the fellow who couldn't attend (new baby on the way about the same time frame).
fae

1 - 20 of 51 Posts