Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's CLA Game Fair will be held this July 22-24 at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire, England. The finals of the CLA Game Fair International Open Spey Casting Competition (new Sponsor) will be held on Sunday July 24th.

Scott McKenzie, winner of the 2003 and 2004 championships, and the best Spey caster in the world, will be defending his title, and competition is expected to be keen. Scott has never lost a competition, and recently won the Irish Game Fair Spey casting competition, qualifying with a an astounding cast of 60.5 yards. It is quite possible that Scott will break Alexander Grant's 110 year old record of 65 yards in competition this year. The Carron team, led by young Gordon Armstrong, and Knut Syrstad figure to mount a determined challenge.

For any fly fishing enthusiast, the CLA Game Fair is a "must see" event, at least once in a lifetime. There is simply nothing in the States which even comes close in comparison. The fly fishing area at the CLA is bigger than most outdoor shows total in the States.

For more information, the CLA has a great website: http://www.gamefair.co.uk/2005/default.php

·
Registered
886 Posts
spey_bubba said:
This year's CLA Game Fair will be held this July 22-24 at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire, England. The finals of the CLA Game Fair International Open Spey Casting Competition (new Sponsor) will be held on Sunday July 24th.
Pronounced Beaver Castle for some unknown reason. I came home from last years event and did a "google " search to find Beaver Castle ....0 results.
Then it dawned on me that it was the english prononciation of Belvoir.

Way; You and Steve attending again this year?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sounds fascinating. It was an extreme pleasure meeting these gentlemen at GGACC and it would be really something to watch this event in England. Now that would be a great vacation!

·
Registered
150 Posts
As Way stated, the CLA is a once in a lifetime must! Last year recorded over 130,000 people through the gates for the 3days.

Way is there any word of who will be taking on the sponsorship for the Spey comp this year. Will yourself and Steve be making your annual venture over, or anyone else for that matter?

Gordon

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just managed to blag a bed for the weekend from some friends nearby, so am certainly intending to be there. Sunday is obviously a must for the speycasting finals, but I might try and do two days this year. I need the best part of one day just for the fishing section, and there is so much other stuff to see.

What day(s) will you be there, Malcolm?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Gordon,

The CLA is a definite "must do" - even though it is no longer the MUSTO championships :roll: However, it looks like it is still a couple of years off on the agenda, I will need at least that long to practice this new style (yes Malcolm I said style) of casting!

Good luck to all of you this year.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Kush, I see you are being led to the dark side, the correct term is the Ness No Style as seen recently on the Sexyloops board.
Charlie from Thursday to Monday, liver permitting, I am actually working at the Fish Scotland stand

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Gordon and Malcolm:

I've bought my tickets and paid for a hotel room, Steve is an unknown at the moment. I'm flying into Manchester arriving Thursday morning, and looking forward to a nice leisurely drive to Mr. Beaver's house. We must hoist a few! I'll probably see you guys around set up time on Thursday. Looking to learn a lot about casting again, as every year!

For any of you guys on the Board reading these posts, there are simply no words that can describe the scope of the Game Fair. I would estimate the vendors alone occupy a square mile, and the fly fishing area alone is about three times larger than the entire Denver retailer show. Even if you are not into competing (it's all for fun anyway), one can find fantastic deals on all sorts of tackle, new and used (like 100 years old), great hard to find fly tying stuff (like Colubus monkey), take a test drive in a Land Rover, see amazing hunting dogs, shoot clays, and, of course, drink. Last year I picked up a 1940's vintage Hardy 16 foot Norway split cane rod in perfect condition for a song.

Whereas less than 2% of North American flyfishers are familiar with Spey casting, everyone over there is, which is quite refreshing. There are lots of ongoing events, and daily casting contests for fun. The presentations are first rate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bring a spare liver !

Malcolm,
hope to meet you during the fair. ;)
Any word of a wee delivery from Mr. Meiser yet ?
Peter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2005 Cla

Way and Steve

I am very much loking forward to seeing you guys again at the CLA,as you both know it is a must see event,I admire you both for coming over year after year and competing making it a truly International Speycasting event along with Ian Gordon and Scott McKenzie have made it a really World class event, do you know if any of the other competitors at San Fransisco will be coming over?I have heard that the guys from Loop Knut and Trond will be coming over.I have also heard that CND will be rolling out their "Dark horses" could this be the "Beastie Boys" perhaps Kush could enlighten us on this one have you bought a return ticket. ?:smokin:
Gordon Andrew and myself look forward to see you there anyway and I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to a hell of a party it will be free drink all night anyone who is at the show is very welcome,just make your way to the campground any evening and visit plot 36DD and your host will greet you his name will be branded on the side of his tent and it should read "STALLION" if you have any difficulty finding it just look for a big Mother f------ Meiser or ask any passer by where the Scouser with the new hairdo is having the bash,dont worry about the invite just all pile in.
Look forward to seeing you all there Trans Atlantic flights are very good right now

James Chalmers

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello James:

I think Steve is a go, but don't know for sure at the moment. We really look forward to hanging out and are looking forward to the great crack! I'll try to find the 36DD's (shouldn't be too hard, I imagine), and definitely a few rounds of bitter shandies on me!

Best regards to Andrew, Gordon, and Jimmy

Way

·
Registered
106 Posts
Roll-call !

Well, with only 5 days to go, most people should have a good idea of their plans.
I`m hoping to be there on Saturday, and will definately be there on Sunday.
Who else intends to be there?
May need to give the bar-tent advance warning ! ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
From Thursday night to Monday morning.
Meisers all ready, I got them yesterday.
Cast them Monday oh joy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Peter,
You are the Man!
I look forward to sharing a Guiness together, and look forward to spending time with all the other wonderful speyaholics! Even if my casting fails me, the commardarie amongst so many wonderful people is what memories are made of!
See you all soon!
steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
Steve,
great to hear you are definately coming over, I`ll have the Guinness waiting. :lildevl:
Safe journey, and look forward to seing you soonest.
Peter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cla 2005

Steve and Way

Great to hear that you are both coming over to the Game Fair,look forward to seeing you both again,you are a credit to the sport (either that or crazy :chuckle: )
I hope the weather is kind as I am sure there will be a hell of a lot of people there
The offer still stands to attend the party at the "Wee Stallions" tent or as he likes to be called now "Malcolm Meiser" or "Willie Skagit"as he has a new 18 foot weapon in his armoury which by all accounts I hear is a cracking rod looking forward to trying it out.If you have any difficulty gaining entry to the party due to the dress code e.g. not having tweed breeks,collar and tie a Fore n After or a Hardy Perfect in hand you will be more than welcome at the Carron stand for a few beers,im sure Jimmy and the boys will help you out in that department.
Take care and safe journey see you both at the weekend

James Chalmers

·
Registered
10 Posts
time for a beer

Hi guys,

Looking forward to catching up with some of you 'big guns' again and maybe meeting a few new faces.....if last years tournament was anything to go by, I can't wait to see what's in store for this year......

Have a great weekend - I know I will watching you.....hopefully I'll get chance to come over and have a beer or two in between manning our stand.

Best of luck to all!

Speyliner

Bob Wellard
Snowbee

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm lucky enough to befishing with Gwyneth and Jimmy this week at Carron, on the Spey. Gwyneth asked me to pass on the following message.

We are heading down to the CLA Gamefair this week, which I am sorry to say, means the office is closed - but we are always available on our mobile telephones.
We have a stand on the front row of fisherman's village, near the Spey casting - so if you are there please come, visit us and say hello!
We will have a strong casting team entering a few events, headed by James Chalmers and including Andrew Toft, Gordon Armstrong and perhaps a few new surprise members for you to watch out for! It should be an exciting three days! I'll post more news on our return.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ya know, I gotta make it to one of these someday. I've heard about the fair for so many years from a friend who used to be a keeper on the Itchen. And I want to see the falcons fly. Green with envy.
B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts