Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PA044153.jpg
1/0 Bartleet XL, deep purple wool, med flat and oval silver, natural black and gadwall, purple bronze mallard.
PA044156.jpg
Bartleet XL 1/0, red silk and black wool, med flat silver and oval gold, brown-tipped natural black and gadwall, bronze mallard.

PA044154.jpg PA044155.jpg
I did the two different wing mounts. I took several attempts with the old way, on the right. It was a bit harder for me to do and need practice. The slips wouldn't compress unless narrower compared to the more conventional manner which tented over naturally, quite easily and slightly fuller. Gave it a go. Content either way. Still: I prefer the conventional manner.

Welcome to critique and comment ...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cute ties! (Deepest apologies, I just couldn't resist)

Seriously, some more great ties!

What is the "old way" with the BM? Wings on both look fine and fishy!!

-Bill

·
Banned
690 Posts
Sweet speys...you KNOW I gotta like those mang...
I was berated on Classic for having too long BM roof (like yours)...but hey, pot-taa-to, pot-ah-to...
I would fish the fck out of those

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cute ties! (Deepest apologies, I just couldn't resist)

Seriously, some more great ties!

What is the "old way" with the BM? Wings on both look fine and fishy!!

-Bill
No worries - it is what it is.
The usual manner is that slips from the left feather on the bird are set on the left side of the fly - head forward looking down. In other words - inside edge to inside edge.
Many of the old Reeach (Riach) and Speals had the wings set the opposite way - outside edge to outside edge.
It can be done either way. But, and Im sure you are aware that the slips actually compress better near the rachis, set more naturally in the usual manner and with less handling to boot.
Sweet speys...you KNOW I gotta like those mang...
I was berated on Classic for having too long BM roof (like yours)...but hey, pot-taa-to, pot-ah-to...
I would fish the fck out of those
Yeah - and at one point I might have though the same. But you gotta' ask "What is TOO long?"

From proportional stand-point these could go just a bit longer yet...or shorter.

Thanks gentlemen.

·
Ded Heron
150 Posts
So very deadly!!!!! I truly love the classic simplicity of a well tied "barn-yard" fly, and you sir have killed it! Those deserve to be destroyed by steelhead.

Cheers

Dustin

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Sweet work, love them both, pain in the arse to get to fibers to compress long side out eh!

We were thinking alike on the purple bodied one for sure.....

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The 'Children' need to leave the room. These flies need to be viewed with a ...

View attachment 85857
1/0 Bartleet XL, deep purple wool, med flat and oval silver, natural black and gadwall, purple bronze mallard.
View attachment 85873
Bartleet XL 1/0, red silk and black wool, med flat silver and oval gold, brown-tipped natural black and gadwall, bronze mallard.

View attachment 85865 View attachment 85881
I did the two different wing mounts. I took several attempts with the old way, on the right. It was a bit harder for me to do and need practice. The slips wouldn't compress unless narrower compared to the more conventional manner which tented over naturally, quite easily and slightly fuller. Gave it a go. Content either way. Still: I prefer the conventional manner.

Welcome to critique and comment ...
"Adult Beverage" in hand. God those are good looking ties!!

YOU DA MAN!

fae

·
Administrator
18,162 Posts
Fantastic Vic :smokin::smokin:
I wouldn't hesitate to tie either of those to my tippet .

Mike

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So very deadly!!!!! I truly love the classic simplicity of a well tied "barn-yard" fly, and you sir have killed it! Those deserve to be destroyed by steelhead.

Cheers

Dustin
I could not agree more. Be it barn-yard or marabou, I think the steelhead are well deserving of the effort and that opportunity is coming up fast.

As always - I appreciated your feed-back and offer back this little mouthful ;) :

PA044164.jpg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Another beauty! Love your style!!

Thanks for the response on the BM. Is there a benefit or reason to do it that way, or just for the sake of tradition? Or just another way to torture ourselves with feathers?

-Bill

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bill - definitely torturous and for the sake of tradition. Maybe even a nostalgic sort of thing for some - I missed the mark on that.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks again.

I haven't tied my spey wings using the conventional "modern" method in so long, I'm beginning to think that maybe I was trying it the "old" way all that time. That's probably why I had so much trouble!!!

I now use the Veniard's method for my wings. Quick and easy, with quite good results.

However, after reading the wing description on Collin's site, I'm thinking we all set them not quite true to the originals. Two double strips, set quite apart, and tied in separately!

Cheers,

-Bill

·
Banned
690 Posts
An inspiration when I saw the ties pal...had to crack one off...
Thanks...I need to get me some of those XL irons

Thanks for the inspires and comments on wing length...

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again.

I haven't tied my spey wings using the conventional "modern" method in so long, I'm beginning to think that maybe I was trying it the "old" way all that time. That's probably why I had so much trouble!!!

I now use the Veniard's method for my wings. Quick and easy, with quite good results.

However, after reading the wing description on Collin's site, I'm thinking we all set them not quite true to the originals. Two double strips, set quite apart, and tied in separately!

Cheers,

-Bill
Of course. I know I don't come close to that. Here - I set the slips as described in Collin's site. However, I like a single pair of slips instead of two pair. Just my preference for the translucency in the feathers as you can see in the pics. Ultimately though - once the fly is wet I don't think that there is a difference. They don't rollover so - I don't know if there is a benefit to the double slips in that sense. Thoughts?

Chase - You are welcome man, and I thank you for wrapping that one up. It is actually very interesting to see how some of us will play off one anthers contributions on here. For that reason I've collected three boxes of flies - more than I could ever cast off in a year here.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey Vic,

Your wings are outstanding- better than anything I turn out- and I hope you don't think my comments meant anything other than that! The flies you post have always been truly inspiring to me, and I'm sure, to many others as well. I constantly go back and look at them. Always a treat!!

As far as using doubled slips of BM, I started doing it as a means of being able to use some of the lesser quality mallard I have. Even with some better strips, my lack of skills will always tend to split them. If I could set single slips as well as you do, I'd probably do it more often! When I do get it right, now and then, after a few swings they'll end up looking like a hairwing. Doubling up, one on top of the other has seemed to make the wing more durable.

Regarding Collin's site, I was more curious as to the "set quite apart" aspect of the mount, and not so much with double or single slips. Not quite sure what that means. Apart, as on extreme far sides of the shank? Or set them apart to flare out somewhat, (dare I say it?), almost like a Dee? Your take?

Thanks,

-Bill

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think so too Bill: Flared or splayed, from what I see, similar to a dee as opposed to the canoe hull seen most often.

I'm very content and confident with my tying and were it's at right now. Theres plenty to learn and still other aspects that I want to explore. I have yet to attempt dressing Classics to the T for example. But it's coming around. I enjoy all of the feedback received here. No worries there and thank you: Very kind

You've posted many many impressive dressing on here yourself. Many excellent contributors here and I pick-up on different tying-tips from all. For instance - doubling-up on those lesser slips like you mention. It makes sense. I try and use every last bit or find other uses for the whole feather. Normally those get thrown out but I should give this a try though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts