Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple more color combinations I tried on Aaron Ostoj's pattern "the Daybreaker". Hook is A.J. #1.5

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Solid patterns, well tied.

Is the pattern always so bushy & full??

Mike

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great ties, Paul! No self respecting Salmon River steelie would pass up one of those.

As far as "fullness", I think they're fine. I've found with Marabou, that too sparse, and it almost disappears when wet.

Lengthen up on the JC and you're getting closer to Aaron's fly.

-Bill

·
Administrator
19,208 Posts
Great pattern to follow from a much respected fly tyer :smokin:
I like what you are doing with this pattern!! So many possibilities .... it's one of those patterns that all you do is change up the colours and your good to go for the season.
Very nice work, these should hunt well for you :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yes I believe Aaron's pattern is very adaptable and I have been "hooked" on it since I saw his original post back in January. Here are the other color combos I have tried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice flies fish tech. Was up your way the week of 4/6 and the blue and black style was the only fly for me that received any interest from those tough SR steelies. I also like all the variations that can be created from this fly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great looking flies! I feel honored that others would find inspiration in my work. This has become my go-to fly for swinging lately. It's all of my favorite properties of a fly wrapped into one pattern. I'm going to have to try some of the color combos you posted for myself. I especially like the Black and white "copcar" version you posted.

Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts