Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I moved to NC I wasn't sure what I might find. One unexpected was very large Redfish in the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound. One of the popular methods is spin rods with a large popping cork about 3' ahead of a plastic bait. A guide, Gary Dubiel started fly fishing them with a similar rig. I tried a bunch of combinations and settled on a Beulah 10/11 Switch with a heavy Ambush line. The terminal end was a big Bob's Banger saltwater popper with a 3' 20# dropper to a 6" flatwing streamer. 80' was no problem and was adequate distance, but longer cast was a matter of air resistance catching up. Next season I may try some of the longer rods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So happy to see your post. I'm in Beaufort and going after reds. I'm new to spey but been flycasyjng about 27 years.

I've an Abel 8wt spey and a lamsom Litespeed. Reds in our area run in varied water but generally shallow 2-3' push oyster rakes and grass beds.

There are some drop off areas also, posting down to 15 feet.

I agree on the popping cork w dropper method you noted, clever.

question, can you suggest lines please. I'm a bit in the dark here.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I tried a bunch of combinations and settled on a Beulah 10/11 Switch with a heavy Ambush line. The terminal end was a big Bob's Banger saltwater popper with a 3' 20# dropper to a 6" flatwing streamer. 80' was no problem and was adequate distance, but longer cast was a matter of air resistance catching up. Next season I may try some of the longer rods.
Two keys to longer casts are heavier line head and longer line head. Heavier line is important for large fly and and when wind is strong. With longer line head the line loop unfurling lasts longer and cast goes further. Longer rod alone does not increase performance much and when wind is strong longer rod becomes a hindrance.

Of course rod needs to be powerful enough but in my experience overlining two line weights is fine for all current rods to increase casting distance. Naturally there is nice rod stiffness for certain line weight or perhaps it is vise verse.

Esa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts