Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some suggestions, can no longer cast one handed, need to move to 2 hands, thinking something 11' to 13' 4/5/6wt for rivers like the delaware system
casting dry flies down to 22's, 40 plus feet
if anyone has any experience on this, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated
bluedun

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
As already stated, the Meiser 12 1/2 foot 4/5/6. I have this rod and paired with an Airflo Delta 8/9 single hand line it is a rod with power and finesse for dries, beadheads, you name it. You can even cut and loop the line at 15' and use 10 foot fast sinking poly leaders to get down deep. When paired with the Beulah long belly spey 5/6 it throws up to 80 feet with ease and delivers a fly with as much delicacy as you could ever hope for. It is THE trout spey, period. Power, grace and ease of casting.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
4/5/6 vs 5120

They'll throw basically the same grains in a line like the 5/6 windcutter, but the 5120 lacks the backbone the Meiser rod has. The 4/5/6 has enough power to throw the Beulah 5/6 longbelly, the 5120 tends to fold with the longer lines, higher grain weights. The Meiser has an amazing degree of delicacy and feel, much like the 5120, but has unexpected power, unlike the 5120. This extra power does not come by stiffness in the butt section, it is actually a pretty full flexing rod that just happens to grab another gear rather than pooping out when pushed. It offers the abillity to throw a much broader range of lines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Have Bob Meiser send you one of his 5/6 10.5' Switch Rods to try

bluedun said:
looking for some suggestions, can no longer cast one handed, need to move to 2 hands, thinking something 11' to 13' 4/5/6wt for rivers like the delaware system
if anyone has any experience on this, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated
bluedun
One of Bob's 5/6 10.5' Switch Rods might be the best way for you to get into the two handed rod revolution.

Combine it with a Rio OB 10 WF floating line, and you have a combo that will allow you to do standard casts, skagit casts and most of the standard Spey casts. You can roll cast, switch cast, and overhand/head cast this combo, and it should be great if you decide or want to use indicators :saeek: .

Also, you can fish this rod from a one man pontoon craft :D or from a boat. Longer rods are not good on a boat :eek: . I have used this rod in one man pontoons, prams and my striper boat. Now that I can Skagit cast with the OB line, this will open up a lot two handed fishing in my boat for bass, small mouth and lake trout.

This rod and line will allow you to highstick the water close to you and reach out 40' to 70' with good sized flies. You can cast it in tight quarters where a 12' rod will not work or will become a shorter rod. 20 to 40' roll casts are effortless.

Have Bob put on the stealth black eyes and wrappings to sneak up on the fish. Also, if you can get it in 4 or 5 pieces do that. I have the 3 piece, and that is too long to backpack the rod into tight brush.

People use this rod to catch Bonefish, and it works.

The Redington CD reel 9/10 is a perfect match for this rod and the OB line. It holds 200 yards, the line and a leader or tip and costs you about $150 for the reel. This rod and reel combo is very balanced, and a couple of hours of casting are effortless even for this old man.

The 5/6 will cast size 4 heavy flies to a size 22 spec for Putah Creek.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
bluedun said:
bluedun
umm, no offense to the opinions offered here, but I think the gent is talking small dries... for trout... No mention of spey casting at all... Though once you try it, it's hard to stop :D

A 430 grain (just guessing, don't yell at me) Outbound 10wt or even an 8/9 single hand line isn't what he's talking about. Omega45 has it right. First step should be an extension butt on a favorite, preferably long single hand rod. Not trying to be a pain in the butt, but do you really want to chase pressured trout with a heavy line? I don't... I'd be curious to hear what the Meiser or sage 5 wt would work with for pure overhead, in close fishing with size 12 to 22 dries if anyone has tried it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What is pure overhead, in close fishing with size 12 to 22 dries?

What is pure overhead, in close fishing with size 12 to 22 dries? :confused:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
What is pure overhead, in close fishing with size 12 to 22 dries? :confused:
Umm that's where all you are doing is overhead casting, no spey. The target, which would include rising trout, requiring a fair degree of accuracy would seldom be farther than 40 feet, and more often 20 to 30 feet away, They are in close, hence the term "in close fishing". And the flies you are using are size 12 down through size 22 dry flies, as specified in his original question. I know it's hard to imagine for us steelhead, salmon, shad, striper fishers, but some people really do that! They even think it's fun!:hihi:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Phister's observation is on the money in a lot of respects and points out issues like the fact that two handed 4/5/6 rods are more like single handed 7/8/9 rods with respect to line weight, delicacy of delivery, size of flies you'd want to carry, etc.. I posted recently on the desire for a true 5 weight rod (carrying something like 150 grains) built as a double hander. Many would say that it's unnecessary, you don't need 2 hands to deliver a size 16 anything 40 feet, but the gentleman who inquired here shows that it can be necessary, and I believe that it can be useful for others. Ease in casting with a short stroke, underhand delivery, eliminating the double haul, etc.. I think a 2 handed 9 to 10 foot 5 weight paired with a 40ish foot head would allow a full range of casting from very short to shooting the whole head a good distance if needed. It may also allow a softer delivery of small flies and more sporting play of your average sized trout than one of the current trout speys.

What may be the easiest way to get this done is ask a rodbuilder to build you, say, a 9 1/2 foot 5 weight Winston B2X with a 2 handed butt section. I'd be willing to bet that Meiser or Anderson would build it if that's what you wanted.

As to the Meiser 126456, it can deliver a pretty delicate presentation using the lines I mentioned with a furled spey leader and long tippet. I threw #12 stimulators a lot last summer to half pounders (juvenile steelhead) and it was pretty cool. Going down to something like a #18 red quill to rising trout in a 50 foot wide river would be another story.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
omega45's answer is the place I would start.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here's a Redington Redfly 11'3 6/7 wt converted- basically the top grip was lengthened to 10", a REC seat added , and a 5" removable bottom grip. Great little light line spey/switch:)

May be wrong but I think these rods were originally intended for loch/lake boat work.

Will

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all your suggestion and ideas
i'm am fishing to heavily fished to trout were cast over 40' are more common than not, the water is broken current and requires some long mending of the line, any drag on the fly and the fish go down. "Fly fishing heals my soul" but it also puts a serious hurt on my RT shoulder and elbow
i have taken some of your suggestions and put an 4.5" extension on my 5wt 10' TFO and think that will help. having gotten used to 2 handed casting for salmon and steelies i just vision a 11.5'- 13' 5/6 wt capable of delivering a 20 BWO an enjoyment to fish with, 2 handed over head, snake roll, snapT etc
totally confused
BD

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
bluedun said:
thanks for all your suggestion and ideas
i have taken some of your suggestions and put an 4.5" extension on my 5wt 10' TFO and think that will help. having gotten used to 2 handed casting for salmon and steelies i just vision a 11.5'- 13' 5/6 wt capable of delivering a 20 BWO an enjoyment to fish with, 2 handed over head, snake roll, snapT etc
totally confused
BD
You're not confused bluedun, you know exactly what you want. your quest isn't an impossibility, the answer simply isn't an off the shelf spey rod, because you really need to throw an actual 5 wt line. Prairiespey has shown us an 11' 6 wt. Scott used to make an 11.5 foot two handed 6 weight. Just check rod building supply stores and look for the longest 5 wt you can find and go from there. You'll be surprised what you will be able to do with a little practice on your TFO and a standard 5 or 6 wt longbelly weight forward. I do all the casts you listed with a 10.5 switch rod. Stick with it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
what about a 6wt. wulff triangle taper steelhead line? 50 ft. front taper. with a long leader i would think it would work well with a long single hand rod with extended fighting butt. :confused:

just pokin' another thought out there.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
bluedun,

As a person who grew up in northeast PA and who fished the upper Delaware and West Branch Delaware a lot until I moved west back in 1979 at age 25, I know exactly why you are looking at a 2-hander. Most of the folks here on the forum have never seen nor fished the big D; hence they don't know that most of the trout fishing starts at 40' and goes out as far as one is capable of casting on those huge flat water runs in a river that is 300' or more wide. I've also got to tell you that I miss fishing the big D, especially the first 10 miles below Hancock; but I've got steelhead here in Washington State that make up for not having a trout fishery like the big D locally.

Anyway, I digressed enough. The Meiser rod previously mentioned, the T&T 1206, the Sage 5120, the Loomis 13'4" 4/5 Metolius are rods I'm familiar with and each one is capable of doing what you are looking for as a very long line, 2-handed rod for fishing trout on the big D. Gary Anderson has some nice light line trout speys too; but I've never cast any of them (Anderson is a superb rod builder in the same class as Meiser). Be aware that the actions of these rods are all very different. The gentlest, most flexible one of these is the Loomis 13' 4" 4/5. The stiffest is the T&T 1206. The Meiser is a very sweet rod with a nice firm tip, flexible middle, and good power in the butt. The Sage is a pretty limber stick, defintely bends past mid-rod, although it is not what I'd call a true full-flex rod, it still has some authority in its butt.

I personally like the Meiser best; however, the gentle nature of the Loomis Metolious 13' 4" 4/5 might be a better match for the itty bitty #20-#24 flies like Tricos and paraleps you often fish on the big D.

I would suggest that you contact Meiser via private message, email, or phone and talk to him about your needs, he will not lead you astray and will provide you with straight info as to what he has that meets your needs. Besides, Meiser is such a sweet guy who builds such great rods, not to mention the wealth of info and knowledge he possesses on 2-handers, that it is always a treat to discuss things 2-hand with him. Who knows, you may just find yourself ordering a rod from him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks flytyer and the rest of you
steelhead action has been good all winter (started with a bang in Nov) and looks to get even better through May. but the Hendricksons are only a month away and i can't wait. there's something about matching the hatch and casting to a rising trout that mystifies me. it's a beautiful thing.
tight lines
BD

1 - 20 of 51 Posts