Spey Pages banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’m signed up. First time attendee. So how does this work? I’m bringing my waders of course, but I also just got a Beulah Onyx 5124. Can I bring it and demo some different lines and reels on it to see what works best for me? I got a Tonic Switch 400 grain because that’s what Beulah recommended, but I’m new to spey casting and would love to be able to try out other heads, running lines, tips without having to go through several hundred (thousands?) of dollars of line purchases.
You can demo a few hundred different reel and line combos at The Sandy River Spey Clave. You can also demo hundreds of rods from all the major rod manufactures.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Only 18 days until the 19th annual Sandy River Spey Clave. If you haven't signed up for the 4 hour class, now would be a good time to do so. There are only a few spots left and it's well worth it. Sign up here!

·
Registered
173 Posts
perhaps a silly question. While I'm all for hanging out at the clave and learning and all, I also want to be doing some fishing.... what are the options at the time? Trout, etc?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
The Sandy Clave has been going since Y2K. It started as a brain fart of Fred Evens, helped along by yours truly with the aid of Mark Bachman. We thought we might get a couple dozen spey nuts to show up. About a hundred showed up for that first one. I flew up from L.A. & a couple guys who said they were bringing a motor home & a drift boat volunteered to pick me up @ PDX, put me up for the weekend, and took me fishing, not to mention gave me a lot of pointers on casting.That's the kind of people that come to the Sandy Clave. It grew & became a family reunion where bonds & lifetime friendships were formed.

I was there every year for twelve years. The after hours campground camaraderie is legend.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, I've only been to one . . . the first one 19 yrs ago. But the day after, I landed a lovely 9 lb hen upriver a bit. On an Atlantic salmon fly. (response to trouter's question)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Who ever does show up feel free to stop by the Bruce & Walker booth and say hi. Always nice to put faces to the names here on SP

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went last year for the first time, but only went to the casting class. This year I attended the casting class and the seminars on Saturday. I will never miss any of it again! One thing I was bummed about; for the casting class, by luck I drew Travis Johnson as an instructor- I was stoked! Travis didn't show up, but Marty Shepard and Scott Odonell stepped-up, and took-in a small group of us Travis Johnson orphans and made it GREAT! I'm so thankful to them. DS

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any word on whether there will be a 2020 Sandy event? Drift at the 2019 suggested it might be the last? The logistics for such have to be a ton of work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
OD,

We can only hope! Incredibly disappointing to see the lethargic support from the spey community for these events. It is a TON of work and expense for the sponsors and vendors, and it's not getting any easier or cheaper. It's hard to imagine that every user of Speypages doesn't flock to these events??? A day or two at Sandy or Poppy's claves will infinitely more effectively answer the "what line...rod...etc. should I try", or the "what's wrong with my anchor placement"...............questions than countless hours on the internet. AND, the events are free, including meals!!! Fishing and spey casting are real, tangible experiences, not cyber activities. No amount of internet time can replace answering your own questions with actual experience. Plus, you get to meet some of the nicest people around. I've made a pile of new friends at these events and that's something that no online venue, not even Speypages, can provide.

OK, off the soapbox and off to the river for some casting practice.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
There were three or four fly shops from the Portland/Vancouver area represented (out of the back of a van or pickup) at that first Sandy Clave. Mark & Patty were the only ones who thought it worth the effort the next year. And from then on, they owned the Sandy Clave!

No doubt someone will complain the Fly Shop drove off the competition. But the long & short of it is, it became known world over as the best source of first hand information in the whole spey community. G Loomis provided the food, the Fly Shop & crew organized & took care of the grunt work, along with a lot of volunteer help from various clubs & organizations. Not to mention the vendors, who made product available, even though not allowed to actually sell anything at the Clave.

Twenty years is a long run for any gig of that magnitude. Mere words fail, incapable of expressing such gratitude felt by those of us fortunate enough to attend,,,,even once.

Just one, of the many, things spawned by the Sandy Clave was the Rogue River Charity Spey Clinic, featuring world class instructors Steve Choate & Way Yin.

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
OD,

We can only hope! Incredibly disappointing to see the lethargic support from the spey community for these events.
I can only speak for myself. The timing of these events is what drives my absence. Poppy's event is smack dab in the middle of Skeena time which usually puts me over a thousand miles away. The Sandy comes hard on the heels of winter run fishing, especially now that the Skagit, (in my backyard) has re-opened which means catching up on all those neglected spring chores.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts